ad: M2Ant-1

Linear Actuators for tilting antenna mounts?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC8QVO, Oct 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Any suggestions on reliable actuators? Or, also important - unreliable ones to steer away from? I dont know any engineers in industries thar use them to ask.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the larger ones I've seen are 24 volt -- either for the old C band satellite dishes, or wheelchairs. The smaller ones I see on the surplus sites are pretty small. Might get lucky finding one for RV leveling, tongue jacks or similar. I Googled "12v linear actuator" and got a number of hits, starting at about $40.

3. VE7VTC

VE7VTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I work with the homecare equipment actuators. The wheelchair actuators and the lift chair actuators (lazyboy type chairs that stand you up) are 24V. They will run slower (but with decent torque) on 12V. The problem with them is that they will not stand up to the weather. I am guessing the C band dish actuator would be much too slow on 12V. Properly sealed outdoor 12V actuators would probably be $$$.

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you have an internal combustion engine, you can use pneumatic cylinders and engine vacuum to hold the antennas up.

Just make sure to use a reservoir and check valve else the results could be hilarious. Of course, if you always go into your garage wide open throttle, you don't have to worry about forgetting anything.

5. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

I've used a window regulator motor for years to tip 3
    antennas

N5CAV and KC9UDX like this.
  6. KC8QVO

I talked to another ham this weekend that came up with the idea of the drive mechanism for a set of steps on a motorhome. I am not sure if those are 12v actuators, possibly hydraulic. I will look around and see. If they are 12v actuators then that would probably work well - the system is underneath the vehicle and outside so it is exposed to a lot of weather and crap = should be reliable for my application.

7. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

The two ladder mounts I've seen, both were raised and lowered with a gearmotor-cable arrangement.

And I just have to comment on the ladder idea—they stink! The unfortunate truth is, motorhomes, and RVs, are just not conducive to mobile-in-motion antenna mounting.

8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

The motorhome leveling jacks are screwdrive units. I just installed a set last week on a trailer. Pretty sturdy. They utilize a scizzor jack system, like what comes with most modern car jacks.

Ed

9. KC8QVO

10. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

Motorhome levelers are hydraulic. 5ers and TT's are electric screw jacks. Use a cheap (available) junkyard electric window regulator motor. 90 degrees of motion, good torque and easy 12 volt control. You can find them on ebay or other sources. Not elegant but cheap and effective.