Likely Future of ham radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR0O, May 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a 13 year old kid who's been hanging around for 47 years.

KO4ESA, WA9SVD, KG4RRH and 6 others like this.
  2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    Future is bright, provided one transmitter is kept glowing, somewhere, by a spirited radio-amateur.
    Bright, by a tremendous magnitude, compared to some -lots- of our past jobs.

Oliver

KO4ESA, KA4DPO and W4NNF like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Better things to worry about. I'm in my 60s and men in my family seem to be dead by early 70s, so should I not get a deer trophy taxidermied? Buy a riding lawnmower? I could be dead in 10 years.
    Don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy what you can while you can. Just don't go into debt.

KO4ESA, K8XG, N1YR and 1 other person like this.
  4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KO4ESA and KP4SX like this.
  5. NO9B

NO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a guy on the internet refurbishing old AM radios and adding USB and Bluetooth and selling them for $300-700!!!
    When I get one donated to the club it usually gets dismantled for the sockets and tubes and the rest thrown away OR it gets sold for $1.
    So, you never know.
    Thanks
    Steve

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard of one on a French speaking TV channel, dismantling everything radio inside wooden cabinets, only to add those dystopian USB and BT devices before selling.
    No good for our hobby.

Oliver

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And....so...Mr. Peabody set the controls of the WABAC machine for 2091. We were able to monitor some of the traffic occurring on the Zed using special equipment (the participants of QRZ.com in that distant year interact solely by neural implant, of course).

"Ham radio is dying, I tells you. That darned FT888 with its full-color 3D killed it. All they do on there is trade pictures of the babes from Zeta Reticuli II. No ham-to ham-interaction!"

"Have you fellers heard? The damned ARRL wants to give Techs privileges in the upper part of the neutrino band!"

"Just checked the transport chamber. STILL DON'T HAVE THIS MONTH'S CQ MAGAZINE!"

"I was on the holo band this morning. Rare DX coming in from Wolf 359. Guess what? Some lid is sending on his frequency! Everybody's yelling 'UP FIVE TERRHERTZ' but he won't listen."

"Well, no ham radio this weekend. Damn United Federation of Planets Sweepstakes contest!"

At this point I told Peabody (a very good boy) to take us back to 2021. I had heard enough to get the drift of things. ;)

[​IMG]

KO4ESA, KU4X, W0AZ and 4 others like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup. I used to be very active in antique radio restoration but the new generation seem to think its better to gut them and put in some Bluetooth crap. "Nobody listens to radio anymore".
    Punks.

KO4ESA, KA4DPO and PU2OZT like this.
  9. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would these be "Funk Punks" in Germany? :rolleyes:

Regards,
    -Bruce

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

So much to do. Arduino kits. Shortwave radio. Then there are the digital modes. Maybe add some drone pilot license in the future. EchoLink is excellent.
    Many antennas to design.
    Just research and be willing to learn about the whole hobby. Focus on your favorite features of the hobby. eBay has been having a lot of antenna books and ham radio books posted lately.
    Most of all enjoy the hobby.
    KO4ESA
    WRJR757

W4NNF and WD4ELG like this.