ad: elecraft

Likely Future of ham radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR0O, May 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KC7MAW

KC7MAW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People will find new ways of getting on the air with new modes, and other people will hold on to old modes and ways of getting on the air. This I can promise.

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe that there needs to be new technology for this. Problems of filters on an airborne repeater can be solved by working cross band. Flight time can be extended with use of lighter than air gas. The Japanese WW2 firebombs dealt with varying air density and loss of lift gas by using timed release of ballast. A drone can manage this with propellers that can push down as well as assist in lift. Energy density problems of batteries can be solved by using greater energy density of some kind of fuel in a fuel cell or just a plain old reciprocating piston engine. The fuel can even be a lifting gas. If there are batteries then drop them like ballast after the energy in them has been consumed.

Given that we can make jetliners that are able to carry a couple hundred or so corpulent Americans across oceans there's no real limit to the range of some remote operated drone but what one is willing to spend and what the relevant nations would allow in mass for a remote operated aircraft. If we are going to use World War 2 technology as examples we can bring up the US Army and US Navy joint mission of turning bombers into remote piloted drones. That didn't turn out so well for older brother of then future US president JFK. Joe Kennedy Junior died trying to pilot this "drone", more of a guided missile, which blew up shortly before he was to hand over the craft to remote control and parachute out.

I recall mention somewhere of people flying remote controlled aircraft over the Atlantic ocean before. There were pilots on both ends of the journey with a gap in the middle outside radio range of either shore where the craft was flying on a primitive autopilot.

Verification of an aircraft completing the journey can be done a number of ways. The craft could record the flight from multiple views out of the craft, which would be difficult to fake. The craft could carry some payload that the operators don't know the contents but observers could verify. The path could be tracked by radio and/or radar. Basically all the ways we used to prove that humans actually landed on the moon. That reminds me of a Mitchell and Webb skit where there's a discussion of government agents "faking" the moon landing. One great line was something like, "Can't we just use some of the footage of the mission to Mars?"

Anyway, the point is that there's no real technology limit. Well, except perhaps in bringing the costs down for what you propose to where more people could afford to compete.

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be a sealed envelope with the number 59 inside!

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an unmanned aircraft operating under Amateur radio rules so the note could read...
    Look Ma! No hams!

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi James W0IJJ,

what is your feedback please?
    what do you think or is your vision of the future of Ham-Radio?

What do other young Hams think about this, heard only
    the meaning of goms (grand old man ;)).

RĂ¼diger
    DD5RK

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KO4ESA and VK4HAT like this.
  7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't know how many times I have wanted to quote the sex pistols in this thread LOL

NO FUTURE FOR YOU.

KO4ESA, PU2OZT and WZ7U like this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope we didn't scare him away. Maybe he decided to QSY to the stamp collecting forum.

KA4DPO and KD2UHD like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you were a 13 year old kid, would you hang out with us?

KA4DPO, AC0GT and PU2OZT like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt he was scared away. More likely ran away from the noise.

KO4ESA and VK4HAT like this.