ad: vanity

Likely Future of ham radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR0O, May 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

cyborg.gif Yes, keep advancing the state of the art. My job depends on it.
    skynet logon.gif

/s

KO4ESA, KF5KWO, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While not exactly drones, the Japanese did make a couple of tries of delivering bombs by balloon during WWII. They were guided by the jet stream, and had clever barometric triggers on sand bag releases, so that the range was extended. Finally, a timer released the payload. No radio control from Japan. These were "autonomous".

The intent was that these incendiary devices would start massive forest fires, as well as inducing general panic.

Some worked, but many experienced some kind of failure and were recovered intact. Thus, the knowledge of how the little gadgets worked.

The plan was thwarted, I believe, by an absolute blanket of secrecy applied to the US press by our government. The press did not report these incidents, even though rangers contacted government officials when they found a few. Apparently the Japanese figured the lack of coverage meant failure and gave up on the project.

Yes, the potential for turning any new technology into a weapon is always a problem. And, they wouldn't have to have unlimited range to be a threat.

KO4ESA and N2EY like this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

At my blog, I have a series of articles about these balloons:

http://onetuberadio.com/2015/05/15/japanese-fu-go-fire-balloons-of-ww2-part-1/

KO4ESA and WA1GXC like this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Freedom? You’ll just lose it. Work, wife, children ... As free as now, you will be only after 60 ...

But radio all this time will be that pleasant variety in life ...

KO4ESA, K8XG, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Methink the day I'm settled in the wild first investment have to be for keeping all intruders off, robotic or not.

Oliver

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

we don't have any wilderness here, so I have to come to Brazil.
    Was there in 1991, enjoyed it very much.
    I would invest in a radio shack and an antenna ;)
    (when I have built a log cabin, the water supply is assured, I have electrical power
    and I have enough to eat.);)

Rüdiger
    DD5RK

KO4ESA and PU2OZT like this.
  7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In one instance one of the balloon bombs killed a mother and her young children.

KO4ESA and N2EY like this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably the latter. Also land if the weather gets too rough.

That would depend on the ARRL's interpretation. However, since remotes count for where the station is, not where the operator is, a precedent may already exist.

This could have some real possibilities. For example, getting permission to go to Navassa Island is very difficult, but getting permission to land a solar powered drone there might not be.

I can imagine a sealed hull whose entire top surface is solar panels, with GPS and a form of artificial intelligence to run the various systems. Like the drone idea, if the weather got too bad, it would just shut down and bob amidst the waves until conditions improved.

Of course robotic spacecraft landers have been doing this for decades. The USSR landed a rover on the moon way back in 1970 IIRC.

9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

BEATING THE DEAD HORSE.jpg

KT4PH, KO4ESA and KA4DPO like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, a real tragedy.

---

The Japanese missed some good (for them) opportunities to cause even worse damage in the Pacific than they did:

- not following up the Pearl Harbor attack with a third or even fourth wave

- the Battle of Midway

- not attacking the Panama Canal

- there were one or two incidents where a Japanese submarine surfaced off the California coast and shelled coastal installations. They could have done a lot more of that.

KO4ESA and PU2OZT like this.