Likely Future of ham radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR0O, May 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The reason I suggested courses which could be set up is that the SOTA-like organization would handle the overhead of getting those areas permitted.

They would have to be located in more remote regions, distant from airports. And there might be rules (or perhaps firmware limits) on maximum altitude. All of which would result in possible approval from the FAA.

Future drone pilots might have to deal with not only an amateur radio license, but some kind of certification. Ideally, this would be like PADI certification for divers, which is unique in being a self-regulated organization. Good for life, and required for membership in the SOTA-like drone course organization. Not so ideal would be another license administered by the government, but that could be reasonably simple, like the license requirements for UL aircraft.

If this got off on the right foot, it could be successful. On the other hand, if a few bold experimenters caused some crashes or "near miss" complaints before the creation of an organization to administer it, that could kill the idea before it got off the ground. So to speak. ;)

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think that it is necessarily a bad idea - simply pointing out that it might hit some regulatory hurdles dating back quite a long way...

My licence says:

"2. Location
    2(1) The Licensee may only operate the Radio Equipment in the United Kingdom (including its territorial seas) subject to sub-clauses (a) – (c): ...

(c) The Radio Equipment may not be established or used in any Aircraft or Airborne Vehicle. "

Martin (G8FXC)

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Suspend the radio in a harness below the drone, then!
    [​IMG]

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got curious, and did a search for R/C aircraft and such and found this, but not much else -

https://www.electronicspoint.com/fo...-radio-and-rc-radio-controlled-flight.290625/

and an excerpt from it -

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the role (if any) of amateur radio in extending the range and reliability of Radio Controlled (RC) flight. One can apply to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for an exemption to the "line-of-sight" rule, but if granted that still leaves the problem of how to implement a reliable radio link over extended distances, beyond the line of sight, where there may be and probably are obstacles along the way. While it may be as simple as increasing transmit power levels, which a ham license allows, it may also be more complicated, requiring frequency diversity, or more bandwidth to accommodate sophisticated error detection and correction, or spread-spectrum techniques to "punch" the radio frequency signal through between the operator on the ground and the aircraft in flight.

Lots of detail of the problems of executing the idea, but nothing mentioned about how the hobby might change if it became popular. So, while I can't claim to be first for thinking of amateur radio long-distance drone flight, I probably can for thinking of a SOTA-like organization to administer competitive courses.

At least until I find a forum which discusses that...

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. W3KW

W3KW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

JJ-

Welcome to ham radio. I started in 2009 and it’s been the greatest journey on which I have yet embarked. This thread is a lot like ham radio. You’ll hear stuff that’s encouraging and amazing, and other stuff that will make you turn the VFO the other way. LOL

Are you interested in CW? If you already said that, or wrote it on your QRZ page, I missed it. That’s been a blast for me. Also, building and restoration is really fun too. I have brand new rigs that are fun, and really old tube stuff that’s a rewarding challenge. You don’t need a lot of money or power to get going on HF either. Grab a cheap QRP rig, throw up a random wire, and you’re on the air for under $100. All great stuff this ham radio thing. I hope it’s an amazing journey for you. I waited WAY too long to get started. You have so much time to enjoy this amazing hobby.

Congratulations on earning your Extra. That’s a huge commitment and a fine accomplishment for a man your age. I also became a VE and though I never got the chance to administer an exam, I did enjoy the adventure of earning it.

I hope to have a QSO with you one day.

73, sir, and welcome aboard.

Wes
    W3KW

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The local 440 repeater here was pretty active about a decade ago. Now? Crickets. :(

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you kindly lend me one? would like to test these bands at my place, before I am totally submerged by higher buildings around...
    ...but then, I'll gladly be leaving my doomed, albeit formerly nice suburb. Heading to the wild, far, far away from all the jewry gentry.

Oliver

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We operate Ham Radio from "Private" Aircraft all the time in the states, and we put them in Rockets as well as drones.

KO4ESA and NL7W like this.
  9. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes,
    also allowed here.
    On an aircraft I call DD5RK/am in CW or DD5RK/aeronautisch mobil with SSB.

On the last Hamradio in Friedrichshafen/Germany 2019 they had a ballon
    with repeater, GPS, some meteorological data via APRS. You could follow on https://aprs.fi/

You also can start real weather balloon that fly to tropopause and stratosphere, up to 30km hight.
    But you must get a permission for this.
    This are real nice projects with ham radio, data communication and electronics.

Rüdiger
    DD5RK

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've actually thought about that myself. It seems to me that the battery/solar technology will before very long reach the point where drones can remain aloft indefinitely, or perhaps land themselves in a safe place periodically to recharge. That would be a very interesting activity from a hobby viewpoint, such as getting DXCC by flying your craft to 100 entities.

Similar things could be done with boats or even submarines. A while back, on the equivalent of a back of a napkin, I figured out that for just a few hundred dollars, it ought to be possible to make a small powered boat that would, with minimal human intervention, cross the Atlantic. It would be hard to make it land at a certain point, but it would be quite easy to keep it constantly moving toward the east until it hit land. I could probably do most of that without radio. In fact, the largest need for computing power would be for the radio, to make sure it's transmitting on allowable frequencies within another country's territorial waters.

The other thing, it occurred to me, was that when this does become possible, we don't have to worry too much about hobbyists. Instead, bad guys could make use of such systems. So if I want to blow something up in another part of the world, I send my fleet of autonomous drones, each with a little bomb. If most don't get through, then I just send enough to make sure that most do. In fact, if I were a bad guy and didn't get enough power from my solar cells, I could have it land at night on power lines and recharge inductively, or even land near outdoor power outlets and plug in to them.

Since U.S. Government secret projects tend to be a few years ahead of the civilian market, I assume the U.S. Government already has small drones with unlimited range. It will be kind of cool when you can go down to Drones R Us and buy one yourself and get to work on the UAV DXCC.

KO4ESA, KG7WGX and NL7W like this.