Lightning Detection Software

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5OMM, Jun 7, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, but in some ways local static crashes have a different sound. At least to me.

2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

This reminds me, one electronic project I've been wanting to build is a lightning detector. I found a schematic on the internet, just never have gotten around to working on it yet.

3. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a Texas Weather Instruments weather station with add on lightning which did not work well if you transmitted HF. The entire reading would show lighting if you TX HF. It was a high dollar great looking system for home or business use, $1,500 15 years ago and that was close to the bottom of the line (WR-25-C), I believe they may now be out of business. Great looking weather station but the service was zero if you needed to contact them. They were in the Dallas area. RainWise makes a system but again high dollar, 2K+ and they just recently sold out and are moving their shop to PA. area. 8 month wait on all products unless you can get it via one of their resellers. Davis makes a pro model station but not sure if lightning is an option. There are several available if you want a stand alone mobile unit most $200 and up. I use the site nowadays and for the last several years that W4NNF Rod mentioned and works great. I have mostly given up on the home based system for lightning. 73 Rich

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. W9RAC

Bud Ill mention that the system I did not I did not trust much. It showed lightning moving in but I have taken several spotter courses and have learned it can happen many miles from the storm and in some cases without a storm. Not during a clear day sky but its certainly not predictable. I disconnect in the summer when I am done, period. I'm certain this is nothing you do not already know but place no trust in any lightning detectors or sites. 73 Rich

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

My biggest problem now concerning lightning is the mayo jars are plastic. Doesn't provide the same protection as a glass jar.

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. W9RAC

Bill I have been chastised numerous times here over the years for having a disconnected coax cable but it works. 73 Rich

W4IOA likes this.
  7. W4IOA

Rich, I understand it. I don't normally do it but I understand it.
    That said, radio is disconnected tonight.....and the coax isn't in a mayo jar.

8. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we all know that a mustard jar contains aggressive electrons much more effectively than mayo.

W4IOA likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just use a jelly jar instead...:rolleyes:

10. W4IOA

Strawberry or Mint?