Lightning Detection Software

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5OMM, Jun 7, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone use a standalone software that detects nearby lightning strikes? Ideally I would like some software that runs in the background that I can pull up when needed to show lightning strikes in my general area. I know there are websites that exist that do this, but I would prefer software that is a standalone product versus having to open a browser and search for the link etc.

To me, it seems that this would be a real asset to amateur radio operators. Just curious to see if there is anything out there for this already.
    Bud - KI5OMM

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't be surprised if someone does. But all I need is this:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/

K0UO, W0PV, W9RAC and 6 others like this.
  3. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use that sight too and it's very good. I just wish it were available to use as a standalone product vs keeping a browser window open all the time.

4. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for (isn't computer based), but I use the WeatherBug app on my phone. It shows the location of strikes on a map and will also tell you the distance of the nearest strike. It will send a push notification to my phone to let me know that a strike has occurred within 10 miles of my location.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    W4ATP, WA9JOQ and N3AB like this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also get lightning strike data from Weather.com or Accuweather.com on my iPhone.

There's also several iPhone Apps for lightning tracking. I assume there's also such apps for other types of phones and devices.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    K0UO and N0TZU like this.
  6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any "stand alone" software would have to access the internet anyway, right? Unless you have in mind to build your own actual detector array.

Avoid having to search for the site by bookmarking it.

Could also do it the old fashioned way - just time the interval between the flash and the thunder. Although if I can hear the thunder and see the flash, it's probably already too close to be on the radio unless one is supremely confident in their lightning protection grounding & bonding!

7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

A standalone detector would detect a strike but would not be able to tell you where it was. However, there is an outfit that maintains a global network of lightning detectors. Together they can determine strike location by knowing when each impulse arrives at each station.

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/cover_your_area.php

KK9W likes this.
  8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sparkfun and a few other places sell a lightning-detector module you can interface with an Arduino, etc... There are also hand-held lightning detectors like they sometimes use at sporting events to call the game due to weather.

W0PV likes this.
  9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page