Light Quad Spreaders

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NN2X, Sep 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fellow Hams!

I am working on a 2 Element Quad (10-20), it is designed similar to the old GEM quad, (Boomless), The boom I have designed is only 2Lbps to support 13 ft spreaders

I am seeking for light spreaders (Fiber / 13ft)...I don't need roboust...I need light! that can support the 5 bands..

The mast will only be 36 ft (By Design)...

MGS4U is way to heavy....(I purchased them, but for what I am seeking, I need much lighter)

Does anyone know a supplier..

DE NN2X Tom

2. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you wish to avoid exorbitant shipping costs, the spreaders will need to be in sections. Have you looked at (fishing) rod building supply houses? The blank stocks are available there - they are called "rod blanks". Just to get you started even though this isn't exactly what you are looking for but a quick Google search for rod building supplies turned up this link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124896799342?hash=item1d146dea6e:g:Ex4AAOSw9LhhPVwb

- Glenn W9IQ

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

W9IQ likes this.
  4. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look at "crappie poles".
    BnM 16'6" "black widow" $20.
    Try Cabela's Bass Pro ...
    Don't know if it will be stiff enough at the 13' point.
    I have the 20' that I use for fishing and it looks like it would work.
    Don't know how these compare to spider beam product.
    73, -bob ah7i

5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the 20-foot~ crappie poles are reasonably light but have fairly large diameter bottom tubes in comparison to the Spiderpoles. That might be fine for the OP's intended use or it might be a bit too large for a slimline sort of mounting arrangement.

The 4m one I linked earlier is designed as a quad spreader and if you search around their site you will find a photo of four of them serving as the spreaders or frame of a single element 3-band quad mounted part of the way up one of their 43' poles. The largest OD is about 1" and it tapers down to about .25" as I recall---sturdy, top-grade construction yet still reasonably light at 1 pound. I bought four of these for my tri-band Moxon that I started building earlier this year before a whole bunch of life got in the way of all of my antenna projects... Hopefully, I'll get back to these come October~:)

Jeff

6. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

That might be the answer...At least a good start

The design GOAL for the HF QUAD is to be around 10 Lbps in total...My Boom (Well boomless design) is actually 2LBPS, and these spreaders at 1Lbps X 8 is 10Lbps..

Total 10Lbps...The reason for the light weight, is the mast..

The HEX Beam is 25Lbps, with a 11FT radius (K4KIO for example), You still need at least a Steel Mast.

My design (Well, with much help with other Hams (That know EZNEC), optimized the Gain for 20 meters at 36 ft height, which is turn I might be able to use PVC or lighter mast,

Currently the Quad (HF 10 -20) has already 15Lbps less weight, and at least 2db more forward gain when compared to the Hex beam, and 20db / FB. with a radius of 10ft...This again is all comparing at 36ft...height..

I am designing the Mast, with a tip over in mind, the Quads are fragile, especially the one I will have, but who cares, if the mast is so light and antenna, one can simply tilt over, especially if the antenna is only 10Lbps (I might be able to get down to 7lbps)

The design of this project, is to NOT make robust, but rather easy to tip over, due to how light it is..If bad weather, tilt over, easy

I have the DX Commander, and this antenna is very light, I took this idea, along with GEM Quad approach (However, separate feeds), and used the lighter materials for the design. I was very lucky to have a machine shop near by and they have cutting edge technology, along with material, and they used CAD program along with a machine that cut all Boom (Boomless) easy.

The main point the material is extremely light, My boom (Which is boomless design) is 2Lbps...That is amazing! So far so good..! (Other boomless designs are 10Lbps, at least)

So far so good...

Thanks for the spreaders supplier DE NN2X Tom

7. SWL37632

SWL37632 QRZ Member

Consider bamboo.....

Put up a delta loop for 'temporary' experimentation about 5 years ago...the 12 foot bamboo sections are lashed together with muffler clamps and since it was supposed to be for a few months, I didn't do anything at all for surface treatment...still there in the So Cal sun and salty marine layer wind.

The weight comparisons between fiberglass/epoxy rods and bamboo showed that the bamboo was far less in weight and didn't sag.

Downside of fiberglass epoxy......There is a gentleman in Las Vegas who recently built a classic 4 or 5 element classic quad with apparent fiberglass/epoxy spreaders....very flexible in the wind. Other chaps have pictures of their quad elements sagging severely with ice.

Bill

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Unsure what "lbps" (pounds per specimen?) but in any case, tilting a quad over, even if it's nearly weightless, isn't something most would do: I know I'd probably never do it.

To me, what would be more important is wind/snow/ice survival, since every place gets "something," and some places get all three. Ice is very heavy, and the 7 lb quad with ice loading could be more like 70 lbs. Needs to survive that without falling apart.

9. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

This design is not for northern states, or bad weather, but one thing I learned from purchasing the DX Commander at 33 ft, it weighs 2 or 3Lbps, and so easy to take down...I am in Dallas, Area, and we get winds, no snow or rain...I have enough room, to tip over, But it is the mast, I would like to use PVC, if I can...We will see...

Also, this unique design is at 36 FT height.

As my esteem colleagues demonstrated with the Antenna modelling (EZNEC and Auto EZNEC), the best height is at 36ft, if higher the TX lobe is not optimized (For both DX and Local), amazing what Software can do!

And thank you for responding!

DE NN2X Tom

10. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

PVC spreaders? Very bad idea; the stuff is both heavy and structurally weak---they would be toast in no time!