LiFePo4 BMS testing

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3AJV, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC3AJV

KC3AJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgive my ignorance - do you mean it needs at least 14.2-14.6v from the charger?

2. KC3AJV

The battery, monitor, and LED all work fine when connected to the 14ohm resistor.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  3. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too late to just order the suggested charger?

K7WFM likes this.
  5. KC3AJV

Ok, thanks. I really should have done a better job researching this gear. Serves me right.

No, it's not. I am only in a hurry so I can test the gear out before a trip I am taking. My trip is not until May, but currently I am limited to radio time during my lunch hour at work, and a few minutes here or there at home (lots going on at home). I know I will need all the time I can get to practice with the setup before trusting it in the field.

Welp, I did need a new SLA charger, so I guess it's not a total loss. I'll look into buying a proper LiFePo4 charger.

Thanks again for the help. If I do any more testing or figure anything out, I'll report back. I'll bring the 706 home and connect to my power supply, just to rule out the 706 being wonky.

6. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KC3AJV

One last thing. I couldn't help trying Batt #1 before I go home. It does not have anything connected to it, no monitor, LED, or switch. I read the voltage first, and it is sitting at 12.8V. I connected it to the 706, and viola! We have power.

So, either I trashed the Batt #2 throwing 8ish amps at it with this charger or it's a bad battery. I will NOT be charging batt #1 with this charger.

8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not worry. My 706mk2g takes 1.2A RX and does not like voltage below 11.5 volts. Therefore, I also want to buy a LiFePo4 battery, but at least for 50 Ah.

9. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds good.

I have a Dakota 10Ah LiFePO4 and I got the recommended charger from Dakota. I also have a Bioenno 3Ah LiFePO4 and got their charger, even though it was probably the same thing as what I got from Dakota. I have different connectors on each so I have to use both. If there is a difference, at least I can't accidentally mix them up.

I do not know much about Lithium batteries, but I believe I have learned a cautious approach is warranted when choosing them over the familiar SLA 7.5Ah type. ;)

10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a ExpertPower 5Ah LIFEPO4 battery, it says 14.4v charging voltage, 13.8v standby voltage, 2.5A max charge current. It def has a BMS.

I bought the Expert Power LIFEPRO4 charger, it's 2A and was $19.95 and you do NOT use it on AGM/SLA batteries.

They have the 5AH battery on sale for $35 now.

I use this to run my K2 and my LDG tuner when I go out and do POTA activations. I am usually onthe air for about 2 hours (CW) and I have yet to kill the battery. I charge it when I get home, and it takes less than 20 mins for a full charge.

ExpertPower also has LIFEPO4 from 5Ah all the way up to 200Ah and everything in between. I have been VERY happy with this brand.