ad: k1jek

Licensing Question re; Appropriation of Discarded Callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2BBQ, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I applied for my Uncle's call just a few days after his funeral. The FCC told me to furnish either a copy of the death certificate or a copy of his obituary. I faxed a copy of his obituary and it took about a month to have his callsign granted to me as a vanity call.

The process was painless.

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KO4LL is the first listing on the uummits.SOTA.org website today (6-29-200

Here is the link.

https://summits.sota.org.uk/activity/W4C/US-001

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here it says KO4ALL.

W2BBQ likes this.
  4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W4NNF and W2BBQ like this.
  5. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for everybody's help on all points ! Joe definitely sounded like a younger guy and perhaps inexperienced. I still maintain that I had a clear copy on him - He just wasn't saying his call clearly and was leaving out the "Alpha" in the suffix. Thanks again !! 73

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps not entirely painless; my condolences on loss of your uncle:(. The FCC DOES require some form of proof (as you have provided) before acknowledging an SK's call is available. If not requested by a relative (as you have done) either for their own (licensed) use or as a club memorial, the call becomes available a day after the "two year" waiting period. The month long wait you experienced was probably due to FCC "paper work" and then their coordinating with the volunteer vanity system. The two year waiting period starts from the SK's date of passing, NOT just when (or if) the FCC is notified of the fact.

7. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

This brings to mind something I heard on my local hometown repeater I think it was Sunday AM, someone called KJ6 listening, just KJ^ no suffix. I couldn't get to my radio to QRZ him and asj what his suffix was. It really sounded like a kid playing with someomes radio.