Licensing Question re; Appropriation of Discarded Callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2BBQ, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can someone take a ham's discarded callsign, either original issue or vanity, when they earn or use Vanity to obtain a new call - thereby "giving up" their original call or a new Vanity over and older one? If so, what is the waiting period on obtaining somebody's discarded sign?
    Ran into a crazy Search today. Had QSO with somebody who I am left to believe was pirating the call of KO4LL, which currently is Not Currently Assigned as far as I can tell. But it comes back as a previous call of a N9GT which appears to have been a previous Vanity call of someone else. But if you run N9GT it shows a Previous Call of N9AAE and not KO4LL. And now N9AAE comes back to yet a difference person as apparently as an acquired discarded Vanity .... lol ..... I'm going crazy here. :confused: - This info acquired the ARRL Call Lookup page, and QRZ
    Anyhoo .... my KO4LL is a ghost ??

2. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Additional info: During this QSO - the KO4LL was purporting to be doing a SOTA Activation from Sassafras Mountain, S.C. - A local friend who keeps up with SOTA told me that Sassafras was not on the SOTA web list for that day. The operator sounded like a teen who had a little knowledge but was kind of bumbling his way through making contacts. Didn't remain on the air long but I heard him make 3 or 4 contacts besides me. Didn't strike me as smart enough to locate an Unassigned Call to purposely use .... don't know but very curious story. I heard him repeat the call a good ten times so I know he was saying KO4LL . Curious

3. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KO4LL is not in the FCC "Current License" database this afternoon, so yes.

The other convenient databases copy from the FCC, but may take some time to sync.

An expired or "discarded" callsign is unavailable for two years. The prior holder can ask for it back. In the case of a Silent Key, a relative may either assign it to a club in memory of the holder, or if licensed ask to have it reassigned to them before it becomes available to the public.

W2BBQ likes this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

redacted

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

He apparently was smart enough to know where to connect a tuner and SWR meter in line - does that make him more qualified than another example recently posted about today?

6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is a "busted call".
    I think the 4 area calls recently issued are 2X3 calls
    beginning with KO, maybe bad enunciation?

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Busted call. Nothing more nefarious than that I'm pretty sure. Who's going to bootleg a call to do a SOTA operation?! ;)

W2BBQ, AD5HR and W4POT like this.
  8. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me add a little seasoning to the brewing stew:

I am going to second HR's and NNF's line of thought and add this: KO4ALL belongs to a South Carolina ham. Sassafras Mountain is the highest peak in South Carolina and is next door to KO4ALL's county.
    It may not be high enough to meet SOTA requirements, and the operator may not have known all the ins and outs of a SOTA activation. Good intentions - bad execution. But heh, he was out making contacts and hopefully having fun.

And even a slight Southern accent could easily lose the "A" in KO4ALL. How do I know this? I did it all the time when I was WE4AU.

Busted call - southern style!

Regard,
    -Bruce

K0UO, WG7X, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  9. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W4C/US-001, Sassafras Mountain is a listed mountain for SOTA purposes. "Not on the SOTA web list for that day" may simply mean that neither the activator nor chasers announced the operation online. There is no rule that prevents an activator from merely showing up and transmitting, looking for contacts the old-fashioned way.

WA9SVD and KU4X like this.
  10. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

W4C/US-001 according to the SOTA database was last recorded as activated on Feb 1st this year. There are two other Sassafras Mountains, W4G/NG-040 (the last recorded activation was on June 19th) and W4T/RV-009 which has no recorded activation yet for this year. Of course not everybody records their activations promptly (some aren't sheepskin collectors and don't record their activations at all!) but it would be worthwhile to visit the database in a few days time to see if the activation has been recorded. For W4C/US-001 that page is https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/summit/report/50926 .

KU4X likes this.