License for a foreign student here on a student visa.

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by N3UPM, May 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N3UPM

    N3UPM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Been searching online, can't find a definitive answer. My son's college roommate is staying with us all summer, he's here on a student visa. He's very interested in Amateur Radio, but I wasn't entirely sure if he can get a US call. He's fluent in English, and very technically skilled. He could easily pass the tests through to Extra. My son is already licensed, it would be cool for them to both be licensed. Thanks for any factual advice!
  2. W9AFB

    W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

    He is good to go. All you need is a US address, ID and sign up for an FRN.
    N3UPM likes this.
  3. N3UPM

    N3UPM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Great, thanks! I was 90% sure he'd be fine but wanted to get solid info before I told him. Now to find him a test!
  4. AG6QR

    AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    As long as he's not a representative of a foreign government, he's eligible for a US license.
    N3UPM likes this.
  5. VE3GCX

    VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

    That provision always made me chuckle. As a representative of a foreign government he would have diplomatic immunity and could do anything he wanted without a license and the law/regs would not be enforceable against him.
    N3UPM likes this.

Share This Page