Letting go....I'm having trouble deciding to change my call from 2x3 to 1x3.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4WCC, Jun 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope ya get the N4WCC. That way, you'll be able to proclaim that you've always been a '4WCC ;)

WA5BIB was my call for 42 years. I dropped the "A" in 2004 & became just W5BIB. - I'm still able to say that I've been '5BIB for 60 years ! :D

This is the history of the callsign "W5BIB";

1929-1935 - William Ansley - Abilene, Texas

1953-1958 - Charles Malone - Dallas, Texas

1960-1965 - Lawrence Kinney - Biloxi, Mississippi

2004-TFN - Steve A. Morris (aka Steve Scott) - Irvington (Mobile) Alabama

Having been born in Dallas, Texas, & lived in Biloxi, Mississippi, and now living (in '4' land) only 10 miles from the Ala/Miss. state line ('5' land) - I decided to retain the '5' in my callsign. -

W4BIB was available, but, I wanted to remain '5BIB' - besides, only 10 miles from actually being a '5' was close enough for government work !

When my time on earth is up, I'll be buried in the VA Cemetery in Biloxi, Ms., so, W5BIB will officially be back in "5" land. ;)

Now there's a W4BIB that lives in Mississippi ('5' land)
    and me, a W5BIB that lives in Alabama ('4' land) !! :confused:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, since this is a thread about letting it go...

[

3. W3KW

W3KW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I moved from the 7 call sign area to the 3 call sign area. It was a pain adding /3 to WM7WM and even just my call sign caused confusion. I watched the 1x2 expiring list for something I liked and nailed w3KW ahead of tons of competition. Turns out, the previous holder was kind of a special guy and the call sign, IMHO, is pretty darn cool, as well. It was very hard to give up a call sign I used daily for 10 years. I also catch myself sending “WM….oops, w3KW” when calling CQ. All in all, I’m super glad I made the change.

I hope you find, and get, the one that stands out for you.

Wes
    W3KW….formerly WM7WM….formerly KF7ENG

N4WCC likes this.
  4. N4WCC

N4WCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't you give Elsa a balloon?
    Because she'll let it go.

As told to me by my (at the time) 6 year old daughter.

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KA3BQE

KA3BQE QRZ Lifetime Member #424 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've kept my call over the years. KA3BQE wasn't a great call for CW as some ops missed the E at the end. But then I moved to New York City to attend university and they had the Brooklyn Queens Expressway or as the local AM radio called it the BQE. So I kept my call now over 40 some odd years. I love it. I'll never give it up.

6. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know how you calculate CW weight, but I had KB8QPE as my first callsign. It was a problem. Some folks thought that I was sending a "Q" signal. We decided that "QPE" if it was an actual Q signal should stand for "The International Pause that refreshes." ;-)
    Or the "e" got lost in the static. So I switched to W8LV.
    Again, I don't know what the "CW weight" is, maybe someone could explain that to me please? But It just is easier on CW.

73 DE W8LV BILL

7. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I changed to years ago from beeing DJ2TX for 27years.I had enough of it in cw.
    Now i am DM2TT.That about the very shortest you can get in DL.
    But i often think of my old call,and "what i am"...
    Its tough.
    But everytime i hammer this short call its all gone and super nice!

8. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ooh, that's a real good one!

9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do what makes you the happiest. It's your opinion that matters, not everyone else's.

WA1GXC likes this.
  10. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a measure to describe how long a callsign is in Morse:

Dit = 1
    Dah = 3
    Gap between dits and dahs = 1
    Gap between characters = 3

Sum the values for a given callsign (or any string), and you have an indication of "weight".

The value of having a short call / low weight is debatable. I like my nice, quick call....but it's as much the syncopation as the "weight". While my call is short enough for most CW ops to pick it up on the first attempt in not-miserable conditions, someone can "beat" me in the pileups by continuing to send their call long after I've sent mine.

KO4PYL, WZ7U, W3KW and 1 other person like this.