Letting go....I'm having trouble deciding to change my call from 2x3 to 1x3.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4WCC, Jun 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N4WCC

N4WCC Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL!

2. N9EN

N9EN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first call, KA9LTR, was issued to me as a Novice in October, 1981. I upgraded to Extra (20-wpm CW Extra) in 1983. I was tired of sending such a long call in contests and in the DX pile-ups, so I applied for, and received, the "vanity" call sign of N9EN.

Since moving to northeast Tennessee a few years ago, I "attempted" to get a nice 1x2 4-land call, to reflect the district in which I now reside. I wanted to get a nice "K" or "N" call, for CW, which I use practically all the time. After 3 or 4 attempts, I gave up on trying to get a new call. What with all these "No-code Extras" applying for calls and others requesting (and receiving) multiple calls, I gave up. I used to pay close attention to AE7Q's web site, to see what was available or what would become available.

I saw at least one instance where a call (that I wanted) was issued BEFORE it even became "available!" The newly-elected president of the local radio club received a very nice call that I would have liked to obtained and he cannot even copy his call sign in CW.

So I am all done with trying to apply for a new call, to reflect the district that I am in. I will just keep my call and keep using it.

Cheers!

KO4ESA and PU2OZT like this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got out of the Navy in 1976 and returned to Michigan with my Guam call, KG6JED as an advanced class ham. You couldn't keep a call from another district back then so I had to give up the Guam call, which I really liked. I was issued WD8CUU which I hated. If it would have had three U's it would have been fine ;). Upgraded to extra and got K8BZ in 1977 and never looked back. A perfect call for any former sailor.

KO4ESA, W9JEF, KK9W and 1 other person like this.
  4. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. This former sailor will keep his "KD8 Old Salty Dog " thanks.

KT4PH, KO4ESA, W9JEF and 1 other person like this.
  5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

There is entirely too much worry about calls. One C/S is as good as another.

FCC issued my c/s in 1952, and I found no good reason to change, even after a 1955 upgrade.. If you want to impress the world, do it with smooth operating practice.

WA5VGO, WA7RAR, KO4ESA and 2 others like this.
  6. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Upsets me, in Brazil there are so many thousands HAMS elite class «a» NEVER EVER on the air, much less using A1A owners of very nice callsigns and me, if I upgraded, that s**t Analtel would "grant" me an even WORSE call, those little b****rds.
    |end-of-rant|

Oliver

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At 20 WPM it takes 4.50 seconds to send my original Novice callsign WN9HJW, weight = 78
    At 20 WPM it takes 2.82 seconds to send my current Callsign NN4RH, weight = 50.

So what am I going to do with that extra 1.68 seconds of my life?

Well, OK, for every 2,143 times I send my callsign at 20 WPM, I gain an hour.

KA4DPO, KO4ESA and N3AB like this.
  8. WI0T

WI0T Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be keeping this call. I'm the first one to have it and it has a weight of 46.

Previous calls were WN0QII (70) and then WB0QII (74)

So this not so bad for CW.

WI0T

KK4CUL, KM1NDY, KO4ESA and 2 others like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and liver and onions is as good as lasagna to some, but not me. And some people worry too much about what they think other people should worry about.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, upgrade to extra. If you still desire to change it you then have access to 1x2 and 2x1 calls that are not available to you as a general. Change once and done. Or you could change your call 62+ times like another Zed user.

KO4ESA likes this.