Letting go....I'm having trouble deciding to change my call from 2x3 to 1x3.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4WCC, Jun 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

@KI4WCC - I was WB5UAA from 1977 to 2019. I made a *lot* of friends, especially in the 80's. And it flows relatively smoothly in CW. I used to say I was going to have that call sign put on my grave stone. I wanted to make sure my old friends would recognize it when we met again on the air.

Catching up with my old friends on the air over the years never happened, so, in 2019 I noticed the guy who had W5UAA had expired. So I dropped the "B".

I wish I had just gone ahead and applied for a sequentially issued 2X1 back in the 80's when I made Extra. Soon I'll have WW5F.

Call signs have become extremely fluid these days. And you don't even have to be in the same call area any more. I haven't checked in a while, but some people let their "old" call sign "go" about every month. The $35 fee about to start up may slow that down just a little bit.

I used to be a CW guy. If I had your call as a CW guy, I'd change it.

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I changed my 20+ year call from WA2AEH to K2WH with no guilt feelings.

I wish everyone who moves to a different call area would change their call to reflect where they really are.

I blame the FCC for that, it used to be a requirement.

I hate it when I work a KL7 or KH6 and they are living in Florida.

P.S. Before you make a call letter change, make sure you used up all your old QSL cards.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, just remember, that "once upon a time, long, LONG ago..." you didn't exactly HAVE a choice. If you upgraded from a Novice (only one year, non-renewable at that time) the FCC gave you a call that dropped the "N" so you went from a "WN" call to a W, K, or WA call. And if you let that Novice expire, (at that time long ago) you got a completely unrelated call when you upgraded to Tech, General, or Advanced. (You had to put in time as a General or above before upgrading to Amateur Extra.) So a call change isn't unprecedented.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Somehow, I knew U were going to say that...

KO4ESA and W7UUU like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Or NE5E, or AE5E.

KO4ESA and N5AL like this.
  6. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup! I was first licensed and received my 2x3 in March of 1990. In 2007, I operated a WPX CW contest and I seemed to have been the only 2x3 there. Thinking it would be beneficial to have a shorter call I got a vanity 2x1. Not feeling it, I opted to change my call again and got a 2x2. But, still, I was missing my old 2x3 call. Can you tell what I eventually did?

7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I moved from zone 7 (Arizona) to 8 (Michigan), but didn't change my call sign. Our ranks are so choked with Extras, I would never get anything descent. Also, it would screw up my website logo.

KO4ESA and PU2OZT like this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

To a degree, I can see your point. But on the other hand, I have a 50+ year old "WA" call. If I HAD to get a new call by FCC rule, what would I get? A KN6??? call, that same as someone newly licensed? There aren't a whole lot of DESIRABLE calls left in "6-land."

9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

My callsign was received back in early 80's. I was very active back then and it was a very much a part of who I was. Everyone local on FM repeaters knew me as "LPM" as I was very social and active in many clubs.
    To pass 13wpm to upgrade to General, I bought a Bencher Iambic Keyer as motivation to work more CW. After a few weeks I could surely send great code like an old fist and working CW on 40 & 15 meters quickly got me confident with my comprehension and able to get a "feel" for the rythmn and cadence that goes with good code comprehension .
    After a lengthy hiatus from ham radio, I discovered the vanity call program. I considered my grandfather's old call but really felt that my call was too much a part of who I am. I always liked the rhythm of my call too KB6LPM just was so effortless to send. I made a decision to get rid of that funky long 2x3 and applied for and was granted 1x3 K6LPM and love having a regular 1x3 . The only problem I have had is that to this day I often fudge up on sending my call in CW with the "B" preceding the "6" I always invariably will fail to rattle off an extra dit and then I seem to have a hesitation as I struggle past it... Basically, at some point I give myself a major novice accent when I send my call. It still happens today the kb6 vs k6 hangs me up everytime. LPM flows fine it's just the prefix. I need to operate more CW and get past this stupid hangup with signing my call in CW!
    73 de kBLPM

WZ7U likes this.
  10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

What was the joke about the new ham who's G5RV and vanity call show up on the same day.

Don't do CW, but I decided to keep my original tech call, rather than getting a 2x2 when I upgraded to extra. Lots of fun when one of the old pharts catches you on the extra portion of the HF bands and starts stroking out, thinking you are where you aren't supposed to be.

KO4ESA and N4WCC like this.