ad: Schulman-1

Letting go....I'm having trouble deciding to change my call from 2x3 to 1x3.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4WCC, Jun 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It'll be a change. I was WA5BIB for 42 years & decided to drop the "A" back in 2004. It took a long time to get used to just plain W5BIB.

The "WCC" callsign has a long & storied history as a 'Coast Radio Station' for merchant shipping. As Carmen (K1LKP) pointed out, WA1GXC / Harris, was a commercial shipping operator for that historic station back-in-the-day. - Harris & some other operators activate WA1WCC from time-to-time.

I think you'd be happy with N4WCC. (it'll catch a lot of operator's ears !!)

Steve / W5BIB - ex: WLO Marine Radio Commercial Morse Operator (1989-1995)

KO4PYL, KO4ESA, WA1GXC and 1 other person like this.
  2. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a Tech--not very long ago in my case....I thought it presumptious to change my call. (KM6PZQ)...When I got my General ticket I figured I earned the right to a 1x3 and became N6TDG (Tie Dye Guy). I like the call but find at times it is hard for other stations to pick up the Tee--Dee--Gee during DX calls. Tokyo, Denmark, Germany. Whatever...I was thinking N6ZNM, for Zack and Mack my two headed turtle, but I figured Zee-N-EEM would be even harder for other stations to distunguish over phone. Maybe if I get Extra I will change the suffix to ZM..

I had no real attachment to KM6PZQ and it was a mouthful. I also have a GMRS license for our neighborhood fire watch radio group here in the foothills and I really wish there was a mechanism for a novelty call--WRDZ552(?) Now that is a mouthful to say the least.

Good luck with your new call and hope you get the one you want...if not, then the one you need!

3. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was WN9JEF from August 1954 'til some time in October of that year.
    Today I am a W9JEF. :cool:

Here's a CW Weight Calculator (if you're interested) https://fistsna.org/callweight.php

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Licensed as a novice in the fall of 1969, general in spring of 1971, and advanced sometime in 1973. Kept WA1MBK for nearly 30 years while many friends went for vanity calls.

Shortly after a divorce, I was in a mania to change a lot of things in my life. WA1MBK became a victim of all that silliness. Drew KE1HP, never used it much. and ultimately regretted dumping WA1MBK.

When I got much more active in 2012, I contemplated securing my original call sign, but remember that the trailing "K" was often problematic. So I dropped the troublesome "K" becoming WN1MB, yet at least honor 5/6ths of my original novice call sign.

Though I'm a CW-only op these days, I have no interest in getting a super light weight call sign. I've been through enough changes and am quite happy being "back to my roots" call sign-wise.

Call sign history and incidental call weight from the W9JEF link:

1969-1971 WN1MBK weight: 74
    1971-1997 WA1MBK weight: 74
    1997-2012 KE1HP weight: 60
    2012-present WN1MB weight: 62

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    W9JEF and WA1GXC like this.
  5. KE0VT

KE0VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I went through what you are. Licensed as WD0BJP which I detested. When I upgraded to general the "N" calls were just coming out so I took an N call, N0AJM. I held it until last year, 40 years. After being off of HF
    for 18 years when the pandemic hit my wife suggested I get back into ham radio as something to do since our main business closed. We are re-opened now and it is slow going but going. I bought a completely new station
    and after I got on the air my mind turned to how about a new call? I looked through the available calls for about a month before finding even one that appealed to me so practiced using it. It kept sounding better and
    better. Also with my sinuses I felt that it would be clearer to be understood. I remember hearing similar calls many years ago and thought that it was one that would get attention.

The call had been available for 3 years so I bet that no one was interested in it and since I was an Advanced operator I was eligible for it. 18 days after applying for it I was awarded KE0VT. I really enjoy this call
    and will keep it even though now I am an Extra and could have 1 x 2's or 2 x 1's. Yes, it was a hard decision but I am so happy that I did take it.

Enjoy, you've only been a ham for a short while so choose carefully and I'm sure you will be pleased with yourself. I stumbled through it for about 4 months but that is almost completely gone now. New call, new station
    and now new privileges. It just doesn't get any better than this!

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That new call sounds great on CW!

I'm sure Zak, W1VT, would concur. ;)

7. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One gets used to a callsign change, but the old callsign often carries its memories.

1974 WN5KYN (Novice) weight: 68
    1974 - 1976 WN4HXT (Novice) weight: 64
    1976 WB5XOK (callsign never used: when I upgraded to Technician, the FCC erroneously mailed me a license which carried an invalid callsign!) weight: 76
    1976 - 2009 WB5YDK (Technician->Advanced->Extra) weight: 74
    2009 - present N5AL (Extra) weight: 40

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

While I had a license starting in 1965, I didn't upgrade to Extra until 1999. In a few short years, I knew they were going to reduce/eliminate the Morse requirements. When that happens, I knew there was going to be a rash of newly minted Extras, all looking for that perfect 1x2 or 2x1. So I started looking at what was available. There were lots of 1x2 or 2x1 available, but I really didn't care for most of them. Then I came across the 1x3 that I have now, and never looked back. I have changed call sign zones since then, but have no intention of changing my call sign.

I mostly work CW and this call sign is very easy to send and easy to understand. I don't think anyone has ever gotten it wrong. When I was in Germany, I had a 2x2 (DA2EU) which was also a very nice call sign for CW.

Years ago, a ham was often judged on his call sign. If they had a 1x2 or 2x1, it was often assumed that this was a seasoned ham with lots of experience. A 1x2 or 2x1 doesn't indicate that any more. Now, newly minted Extra can get lucky and score a nice 1x2 or 2x1, within months of being licensed. So if your going to get a new call sign, just get one that sounds good to you. 1x2, 2x1, 2x2, 1x3, or 2x3 makes no difference any more. A low "weight" is nice, but not a requirement.

For those who are counting: K7MEM weight = 50; DA2EU weight = 50;

9. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the lowest weight, non special event, U.S. call sign? Is it N5EE (weight = 28) ???

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For no rational reason, I enjoy that fact that nobody else has ever had this call sign but me. I was originally N7FCG. Nothing wrong with that one, but all the newbies on the repeaters were N calls (1983). When I was 14 I got my Advanced. I was pretty proud of my 2x2! It used to be fun to have a good idea of someone’s ham history just by their call sign. Now they really don’t mean anything.

KM1NDY likes this.