letting a teen control a traffic net

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by W8PLB, Feb 22, 2011.

?

should a licensed teen be allowed to be net control?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2011.
  1. let him!

96.9%
  2. don't let him!

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

I've seen some young hams act with predictable immaturity. OTH, I've seen many youngsters act with great maturity, judgement, and control as NCS. By the same token, I see adults act with the same level of immaturity you would expect of a child. So why not? We all have to learn sometime, and, just as some of us "old farts", the young ham can be just as affective as NCS as anybody. One of my best experiences is having a contact with a very young ham--especially one on HF. One of the best I remember was a young EXTRA who was working "CQ. CQ, CQ DX, this is K5------". He was a pleasure to talk to and KNEW his stuff. We then moved to CW and worked there.
    I spent almost 45 minutes with this young man. Age? All of 10!!!;) Being a new Extra, he was excited to be using his new privileges (tho we were in the Advanced portion of the band at the time), and happy to getting a State he had not yet worked (NC). No doubt, this almost-man ( by his level of maturity) would've made a great NCS for any net!~

J

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

CW traffic net or Phone Traffic net?

3. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I know more than one OF that aught to hang up their net control mics. There are some real motormouths running nets.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I was net control for the Carolina's CW NTS net back in the 70's, starting when I was about 13 or so. Those nets were a great way to improve your operating skills and CW. As one can tell on the air, age has nothing to do with operating skill.

.............Bob

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat's club has a couple of young ladies I believe are sisters that run a weekly net and do a very good job of it. I don't know how old they are, but they sound like they are probably in their teens.

6. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would seem I am a bit late to the party however I was net control of our local repeater every Sunday night from the age 16 till the age 21. The age really has little to do with it, it is more a question of maturity which as we know many people of a varying age either have or do not have it. Provided they are mature, comprehensive, respectable and enthusiastic I dont see why you wouldnt let them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.