Lets settle this Harmonic question right now.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NO9N, Jul 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. NO9N

NO9N Ham Member QRZ Page

I was talking to a friend on the air about harmonics the other day and he was adamant that the first harmonic of a frequency was the fundamental frequency x 2. I was taught that the first harmonic was the fundamental frequency x 1. Which is it?

https://www.amateur-radio-wiki.net/harmonics/

A Fundamental Waveform (or first harmonic) is the sinusoidal waveform that has the supply frequency. The fundamental is the lowest or base frequency, ƒ on which the complex waveform is built and as such the periodic time, Τ of the resulting complex waveform will be equal to the periodic time of the fundamental frequency.

upload_2020-7-30_7-14-19.png

Is this question answered wrong? I looked immediately for 7.1 MHz or 7100 KHz but its not there.

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

@NO9N

The first harmonic is the fundamental.

Isn't answer B " 7,100 KHz " ?

N1DQQ and KL7SG like this.
  3. KL7SG

KL7SG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7.1 Mhz (B) is the first harmonic/ fundimental frequency. I checked "Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering", By Henry W. Ott; and, it is not expressly stated that the fundimental frequency is the first harmonic. But, the graphs clearly show this to be the case.

4. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

The question with that selection of answers is wrong. If the fundamental is 7.1 mhz, then all harmonics will be mhz, not khz.

Most people refer to the first harmonic as the fundamental. It is confusing, calling the fundamental as the 1st harmonic, but they do. But a harmonic is suppose to be an integer multiple of the fundamental.

And the fundamental times the integer 1, is the fundamental. See how that works? When ever you have problems understanding things and following thru something........it is usually because of the math terminology.

K0UO likes this.
  5. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

But doesn't 7.1 MHz = 7100 kHz?

N1DQQ, WA9SVD, K2CAJ and 4 others like this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand what you're saying...

Isn't 7100 (or 7,100) KHz the SAME frequency as 7.1 MHz ?

(oops, doubled with RLD!)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    K3RLD and KL7SG like this.
  7. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

The answer is 0.00071 GHz.
    Seriously, Harmonics are also calculated to measure mechanical movement such as vibration in a railroad car truck. (wheels)
    Tom WA4ILH

K8PG, KD8WU, KD2ACO and 2 others like this.
  8. KL7SG

KL7SG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Review the question. 7.1 mhz is not 7.1 khz.

10. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's showing "7,100 khz", not "7.100 khz". As we are in the USofA - "7,100 khz" is indeed equal to 7.1 MHz.

N1DQQ, N7EKU, WB5YUZ and 1 other person like this.