ad: NI4L-2

Let's retire the term 'elmer'

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

We have too many of those already :p

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I must confess I've also heard the term "vizwars" :( I'm in "12th Man land" too.... must be a PNW thing? @AF7XT

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope its just a Warshington thing :D

W7UUU likes this.
  4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I never heard most of these before in my life, certainly not "personal." "Threes" and "ratchet-jaw" I know only as CB terms.

Sheesh, go away from ham radio a couple of decades and the neighborhood goes to hell. ;)

W5WN, KI4AX and WZ7U like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're the one!

6. K1NZ

K1NZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well here goes... The stereotypical him is the fat, old fart chock full o'beetus scooting around on his rascal with his fishing vest, callsign hat, and 6 antennas around him. Am I close?

My point is that the young folk don't really give a rat's ass what their elmer/mentor is called. We just want that guiding hand to bring us into the hobby. If you haven't looked me up already, I'm 26. I got my license and extra at 20, but that really has no relevance to this conversation unless you want to blame it on the "millennial snowflakes." "Political correctness" is not why we are not getting the youth into the hobby. There are a few other factors, however:

1. Teens will be teens. Once they find girls/boys, you might as well write them off for 20 years as they go to college and find boy/girlfriends and start families.
    2. This hobby is an old (wo)man's hobby. It requires disposable income. How do you expect the debt-laden college student to afford a non-potatofeng station? He/she can't. You're going to lose most youth from puberty to their 40s. It's just a fact. This hobby requires disposable income and you're not going to find many teens that will stick with the hobby.
    3. Antennas: Even if you manage to get a young ham interested in the hobby, antennas are an issue. I'm lucky in that I lived with my dad, my uncle, and a landlord who didn't care what antennas I put up. How do you entice the youngin who can't put an antenna up for HF into the hobby? If they can't put something up outside, how are you going to convince the parents to wrap their whole house/apartment with wire?

I guess I'm wondering why we're debating the lexicon of "elmer" when there are much larger issues at hand.

Forgive me, but this whole argument is asinine.

73, Nick K1NZ

KI7MDI, WU8Y, WZ7U and 4 others like this.
  7. W7UUU

Damn fine points, Nick

I too was one of the hams who spanned many years since the discovery of girls [or whatever floats one's boat] to the point of "extra disposable income" - and maybe not from age 16 to age 40, but was certainly along the lines of age 22 to age 35... ZILCH radio action in between - just trying to make a better living and raise kids.

again, damn fine points

Dave
    W7UUU

VK4FFAB and WD4IGX like this.
  8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm proud to be an Elmer.

9. W7UUU

And I'm proud to be a Mentor named Dave :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY and KK5JY like this.
  10. K1NZ

K1NZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Dave.

Thanks for understanding my mindset. It's great to hear an older vibe meld with a newer one. I guess I'm lucky in that the older guys in my area don't give a rat's ass about who or what as long as you're on the air.

TUOM. 73 ES GUD DX,
    Nick K1NZ

WD4IGX and W7UUU like this.