ad: ProAudio-1

Let's retire the term 'elmer'

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay then. Elmer...BAD. Mentor...GOOD. I agree, with a previous poster. Elmer does conjure up an old creepy man. Times have changed. Can you imagine calling someone a ROTTEN OPERATOR now a days? HPM did it all the time in QST. He'd have the ACLU so far up his...well, he'd have a hard time breathing.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The ACLU should be one of the biggest supporters ever of ham radio. Numerically, licensed hams one of the smallest minorities in the US.

WZ7U likes this.
  3. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Ham Member QRZ Page

WZ7U likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

He said get off his lawn...

WD4IGX and VK4FFAB like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t Pyle it on.

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhat in agreement... I never liked the term "elmer".

As far as attracting new blood to amateur radio... I have no idea. Radio just isn't as cool as it was when I was a kid. TV and radio were high tech back then. Now it's robots and gaming.

KK5JY likes this.
  7. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

“You got to them Soylent Green is people!”

VK4FFAB likes this.
  8. W9BB

W9BB Ham Member QRZ Page

While we are at it, how about retiring:
    Destinated
    10-4
    to name a few I hear way too often...

KI4AX likes this.
  9. K4EJQ

K4EJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A rose by any other name.........Next...Civil War statues...on ANY side ??? Damn IT--This is HISTORY. Good , bad or politically correct/incorrect- Leave it the HELL ALONE ! It is what it is.. RANT OFF. GN/73, Bunky, K4EJQ

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:35 AM
  10. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

@W9BB ... here's one that is sure to to make you cringe

"VIZWARS"

Yup, the plural form of VSWR .

This, on a local repeater, between two "operators" that each, identified both stations at the beginning and end of each 3-5 minute transmission. After listening to nearly a half hour of high end HF radio comparisons and which to purchase I reflexively reached up and changed frequency when the discussion turned to which commercial OCKFED* to purchase. I didn't have to listen, but I did. A bit like a train wreck that you can't stop watching. I couldn't stop listening but did resist a reply or query. I just had no idea what to say...

So I see your "destinated" and "Ten Four" and raise you "VIZWARS" and "OCKFED" ....

*Off Center Fed Dipole or OCFD for those of you that ...

WZ7U likes this.