Let's retire the term 'elmer'

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't want to ruin the other thread so to run with another poster's comment about disliking the term 'elmer', i wonder if we can come up with a 21st century term for Elmer...

I sat in on an ARRL presentation on Attracting and Retaining ham radio operators from the newer generations. It was all about how WE need to be better elmers... blech. I too dislike that term. I can't imagine calling someone an elmer or being called an elmer :eek:

I guarantee that NO millenial or younger person wants an 'elmer'. They may want a mentor but certainly not an 'elmer'

Here's some other 19th/20th century names we should avoid:
    • Cecil.
    • Chester.
    • Claude.
    • Floyd
    • Abe

Perhaps we could just retire the term 'elmer' and simply say "mentor'

N0TZU, KE0JJG, K9ASE and 7 others like this.
  2. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe Hamry/Hamriette/Hamrifused, depending on the circumstance.

W7ROX likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mentor works perfectly. That's the term I choose to use. I've never been too keen on the term Elmer.

Dave
    W7UUU

KE0JJG, N0TZU, K9ASE and 11 others like this.
  4. WF4W

ex-actly. I think most of us would use the term "mentor" - I think the ARRL needs to stop using 'elmer' in their literature.

K7QAT, W0CVR and KK5JY like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

They need to stop using a lot of terms.

6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thinking back to when I started out, I don't think we used any labels or mentors and we were mostly self taught. However when we did need some help we just went to the local, closest ham.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's keep the term "Elmer" and just create a safe place for the snowflakes and whiners who are "triggered" by it.
    [​IMG]

KC2SIZ, K8PG, W5RHR and 19 others like this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had questions, I asked the professional LMR guys, all of whom had commercial FCC licenses that (in those days) took real work to get. They knew more about radio than any of the hams, anyway.

N7ZAL likes this.
  9. WF4W

i am so tired of the term 'triggered' and 'snowflake' - it's so overplayed and tired. . . .which I guess is why you're still using them - try to keep up, okay, OM? :rolleyes:

KD8EDC, K7QAT, W6NYA and 8 others like this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A Elmer is a person that had to learn Morse code.

They know a bunch of other stuff too.

I vote to keep. Maybe rename as old fart, For those that do not get butt hurt.

K5PHW and AF7XI like this.