Let's rethink 3880

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Dec 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh great,I just love (not) to see another slapfest over bandwidth.

Yep, let's move our ops all over the band. No one one owns any part of the band.

Phil

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

My whole shack runs off a 40A breaker in the house. That circuit used to run an electric cook stove, which we replaced with propane. I have never popped the 40A breaker in the house in the 20+ years since I moved my station to the present shack. Besides my transmitters and other station equipment, in winter I use a 1500 watt space heater to warm the operating position to tolerable comfort. The main shack heater, running off propane, would be prohibitively expensive to keep the whole shack toasty warm.

3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Now with all that being said, understand these are rules set forth by NFPA 70. Inevitably, things tend to get oversized as the end result is to prevent fire or other losses. If one is designing a new structure and it requires an inspection for a certificate of occupancy, following the rules is mandatory. YMMV. See this handy-dandy voltage drop calculator courtesy Mike Holt....

Attached Files:

4. K4KYV

AC0OB likes this.
  5. KA4KOE

I was on '80 last night.

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard you.
    Not real strong though.

80 has been wonderful since the usual suspects went to 160, 2 or 3 qso's in the spot they used to use.

7. K4KYV

I'm staying on 3878-9 whenever possible. 5 kc/s is not enough space between two AM QSOs whenever signals are strong on both frequencies. Problem is, a lot of stations still respond on '80 when they answer CQs or try to break in on QSOs, even though the station(s) they are responding to are 1-2 kc/s below. Unless someone is running xtal control, it's always best practice for every station in a QSO to stay zero-beat with the others.

I suppose the "suspects" are that group who tried to set up shop on 3878. With the band going long every evening, they probably couldn't hear each other on 75 and that's when 160 is at its best. Until the band fades out I'm finally hearing more activity on 75 lately. That's the only way to hold onto preferred frequencies: use it or lose it. If the frequency is clear, they have just as much right to be there as we do; first come, first served.

Got in some nocturnal emissions last night, circa midnight CST. Worked Timtron and Dean wa1knx from Tucson. Tim and I were weaker than usual at each other's QTH, and Dean had the stronger signal at both locations. The band must have really gone long, because Dean is usually PW here.

8. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard you guys as I was shutting everything down at midnight. I could hear you and Dean fairly well, Tim was just above the noise floor.

I managed to work 5 people on 75m AM last night, one of them was trying the AM mode for the first time. The band was not stable, couple were PW but it was a good night.

9. KA4KOE

Lots of noobs on-air and social media since the pineboard article. Membership is now over 1400 on my facebook AM spot, with Bill's not too far behind.

10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a pine board TX last night, sounded very good but needed the 1 meg input resistor changed to get some low end.
    Enough modulation, 35 watts out of an amplifier was giving me a 20 over S 9 from North Carolina.