Let's rethink 3880

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Dec 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a number of great stations last night, Don was 40 over and very steady.
    The usual suspects moved to 160 and the ghetto has been wonderful, even heard the mighty Elmac net.
    ssb took over 3873 which is fine with me!

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the Texas No-traffic net. They have been there all along, fighting with the AM group on that frequency. A couple of times the AMers have moved down to 3875, which once again crowds 3880 which in turn crowds 3885. Five kc/s is too close together for AM QSO when signals strap at both ends.

Last night the 3873 AM group had apparently QSYed to 1885, but they were much weaker here than when they're on 75m.

3. KB4CIA

KB4CIA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

for you fine info some of you have moved to 3838 on sunday nights and seam not to care that us poor folks in the south might be on the frec. have yet to have a am come and ask if the frec was in use just fire away shame i had to by a alpha to talk from centeral florida to the panhandle when i do it thu the week on 50 watts so before we throw stones try looking from the other side of the glass lets all play nice in the sand box you think!
    Kb4cia sarasota florida 73s

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Could someone please translate that?

5. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

IDFK...

6. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's good practice to listen for 10 minutes before calling. The problem with asking if the freq is in use is that some people get confused about whether they are actually using the frequency or just monitoring it.

7. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Harold, I speak a little bit of "Southern Swamp " talk, having been in ReelFoot Lake Tenn, so I have attempted to translate this into conversational English.

"For you fine folks here is some info. Some of you have moved to 3838 on Sunday nights and seem (appear) not to care that us poor folks in the south might be on the same frequency. I have yet to have an AMer come and ask if the frequency was in use and just fire away. What a shame. I had to buy an Alpha linyear to talk from central Florida to the panhandle. When I do it is through the week at 50 watts Power Output. So before we throw stones try looking from the other side of the glass lets all play nice in the sand box. You think?
    KB4CIA Sarasota, Florida 73" (BTW, it's 73, not 73s).

You must have a pretty poor antenna to need a linyear to communicate within Florida proper. Could it be that no one on the frequency can hear you?

Speaking of throwing stones, don't you think it is somewhat ignorant to conduct an SSB QSO near an ongoing AM QSO? Do you realize that AM has two sidebands and a carrier, and that SSB is just another form of AM? Many of the Licensing Books will explain this in detail, and should have been read and understood before obtaining a license.

Who is throwing stones? You did not use the "Reply" function to let us know W.I.T.H. you were referring to.

Lastly Harold, when did you purchase this exclusive frequency from the FCC? Maybe you don't realize it, but as an AMer I can use any open frequency from 3.6 MHz to 3.995 MHz I choose.

Phil

AD5HR and K4KYV like this.
  8. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah!

9. K9EID

K9EID Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What so many forget is that back in the late 50's and very early 60's, the war between the new SSB mode and the AM operators was fierce. The results being that the majority set up a 'Gentlemen's Agreement". 3870 kc to 3890 kc. 7290 to 7295 kc was the agreed location for AM operation. Throughout the years, the AM operators have stayed within their agreement. They have a very limited bandwidth to operate within. The SSB operators have the entire rest of the band to move away from the agreed. It is easy for them to pile onto (say) 3890, hit their notch filter and the AM heterodyne is gone. AM operators do not have that advantage.

It has always been a question in my mind why the SSB operators do not share the frequencies set up by the Gentlemen's Agreement for AM. What is even more aggravating are the SSB stations that will set up on (say) 3890 and deliberately operate there TALKING about destroying the AM operators from using 'their' frequency.

I realize that a lot of new licensees have entered the fraternity and do not KNOW of the Gentlemen's agreement. I have always been in hopes that the ARRL would jump in and help promote this, just as they do for the slow scan on 30, the JT8, etc. Interesting.

10. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

AM use is increasing and new-technology rigs like the Flex and Anan are making AM as easy to use as any other mode, there are AM events now, the ARRL has embraced the mode for the first time in years...

What happens when the "AM Windows" become too small? A lot of us are suffocating in here. Perhaps it's time to open the windows...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    K4KYV and AC0OB like this.