ad: Mountaingoat-1

Let's get a repeater on the moon!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W5LMM, Nov 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

What would be the official call sign of this moon repeater exactly?

2. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

If it was on the moon it wouldn't be a satellite. But if one was orbiting the moon it would be... So we need two. AO-M1a and AO-M1b :D

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Would LOVE to have the chance to work Earth Bounce from the moon :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

From the responses I see above, I assume that it would be impracticle to place an RF passive reflector on the surface of the moon or, it would have been done already.
    I seem to recall that one of the very first satellites launched by the NASA was a metal sphere which was in low earth orbit and could reflect radio signals. If memory serves, it was called ECHO ????
    Tom WA4ILH

5. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL
    A repeater on The Moon
    In my mind it would be the same as EME
    Hams are hesistant to put up a 2m single beam for FM or SSB
    Most who do EME have huge arrays
    Do you really think you could use a repeater on the moon from your vertical
    Even AO27 was almost impossible without an Arrow Beam
    Placing a repeater on The Moon accomplishes one human tradition
    Polluting pristine areas
    [​IMG]

What I would like to see is a .....
    New AO10
    High Altitude Satellite
    With the latest technology
    AO10 surpassed expectations
    A new version will be amazing and more cost effective....
    Than anything on the moon
    Just My Humble Opinion :)

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Why not? A satellite is an object that orbits another object. The moon is our "natural satellite" - a repeater on the moon IMO most certainly would be "a satellite" - and a pretty darn reliable one, at least as far as "the vehicle" is concerned - it's been faithfully being a satellite for, well, quite some time now :)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. AD5KO

I like your thinking. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  8. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that a signal takes approximately 2.6 seconds to make the lunar round-trip. The average user of a linked repeater system can't get the idea that you press the PTT then wait for the repeaters to setup. Make them wait 2.6 seconds and EVERY transmission will have the first words cut off. THEN there will be the same ones who dominate a satellite pass who will think the repeater is theirs at all times. This appears to be a classic Charlie Foxtrot.

N2EY, W5LMM and (deleted member) like this.
  9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

If I did that math right, for a 100 watt tx, and 3 element yagi antennas on earth and the moon, you will get 2 microvolts at the moon RX, on the 2m band

Typical FM RX sensitivity is better than 10db sinad at .5uv.

This would be a near full Quieting link with a VERY average station.

Or about the same signal a taxi or fire truck makes.

I once read a article from a fellow who claimed to be the guy who had to pick a clear channel for Neil and Buzz to talk back to earth. Problem was not building some super special moon talk radio, but finding a frequency not in use anywhere on the planet.

Rege

10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You would need a awful lot of aluminum foil !

Moon reflects around 7% of the radio wave back to earth as it is.

Rege

11. AD5KO

For the hats?

I already have one. :rolleyes:

12. VU3IAI

VU3IAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Send Astronauts to the moon again and let them build an Tower on the moon with Solar Powered and it will be all good Problem solved.

you got your satellite which will be powerful and reliable. ;)

13. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

A repeater on the moon might be a bit difficult to maintain, especially in the winter with all that snow----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC likes this.
  14. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Popular Electronics in the 70's had an interesting article on SWL'ing from the moon. With a relatively modest receiver, many terrestrial FM and TV stations could be heard. The situation has changed somewhat with most countries on Earth switching to digital broadcasting, but a number of FM stations could be listened to quite easily.

http://onetuberadio.com/2015/05/10/dxing-from-outer-space/

W5WAY likes this.
  15. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Do we really need to junk up the moon any more? Seems we are treating outer space the same as our trashed earth. I can understand the desire but sometimes we should think first...JMO