ad: elecraft

Let's get a repeater on the moon!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W5LMM, Nov 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KG5EXW and KA7RRA like this.
  2. WW7F

WW7F Ham Member QRZ Page

They might not approve one, that idea was going long before Apollo program began, but it would be nice to have a transponder with enough bandwidth to accommodate a number of stations at one time, Plus will it be solar or powered by a thermoelectric generator using uranium or Plutonium to heat the thermopile for electrical power or solar? I doubt they'd use any radioactive material since I think they had a Snap 27 Thermoelectric generator, on a number of Apollo flights for experiments mainly to power them. If we all Was amazed to read elsewhere the cask of plutonium used to power it and also that is was in a protective cask that survived the reentry but lies I think in the Tonga Trench, thing it said there was 3.7 kg of it on the LEM, Aquarius and also the command module, but since it got back intacvt the cask holding the Plutonium was never in danger of burning up. Sorry for the OT part, but I agree but perhaps it could be powered by a sun heated thermoelectric unit with solar as well. I'd love to see one with a camera real time or SSTV perhaps but power limitations for viewing the moon as well but every gram of weight adds up and fuel is more to get it there. One can hope anyway:)
    But getting used to the delay might be challenging for some who've never heard moonbounce signals:) 73 to all, Michelle:)

N3WVB, WA7PRC, AF6SA and 1 other person like this.
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

That would give a whole new meaning to Mooning someone----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KG5EXW, WA7PRC, W5LMM and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

If not actually on the surface of the moon, maybe an alternative would be a satellite in lunar orbit.
    Tom WA4ILH

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not at all. AMSAT North America is actively participating with Ragnarok Industries in the NASA Cube Quest Challenge. See here:

http://www.arrl.org/news/lunar-orbi...e-could-result-from-nasa-cube-quest-challenge

I would note that the planned Chinese satellites do not include two-way transponder capability, while this one would.

KG5EXW and W0PV like this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, love the name Heimdallr too!

A Nordic myth whose powers of long range (DX) perception are illustrated as well in the popular Marvel film Thor.

9. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be awesome!

I think for the sake of science we should also attempt to land one on the moon, as well as put one in orbit that is. :):D

AD5KO

10. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn't one of the lunar missions place a passive reflector on the moon?
    Tom WA4ILH

11. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Yes to bounce a laser beam, to measure the distance accurately. Think it worked.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

12. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Apollo 11, 14, 15; LASER retroflector. still in use occasionally. I don't know the numbers, I wonder if the power and columnation is within grasp of radio amateurs?

meanwhile, there is always EME on every band from 6m through microwave (24GHz!!)

14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

An old idea whose time has come ?

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

You're probably thinking of the laser reflectors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

Which makes me wonder why hams haven't tried using them too (like the Project Echo sats ;)).