Lets compare digital modes!!!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NN2X, Feb 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

There's some truth to that but that's hardly all there is to it.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've called CQ so I guess Im allergic to that type of operation as well. And I rarely call CQ on CW either unless Im playing with the reverse beacon network.

2. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Spread sheet (PrtScn) of mode comparison data. Realistic power levels can be entered for various modes. Interesting......

upload_2018-2-14_1-31-23.png

Cheers Peter vk6ysf

vk6ysf.com

WU8Y likes this.
  3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is about learning. FT8 can be a great learning tool for propagation.

I've setup my antenna for use on 160 for the winter which is no trivial task. FT8 has allowed me to compare station capability with others in my area.

Changed the antenna and compared again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

There are quite a number of very well equipped contest type stations on 160 meter FT8 and I'm quite sure they are carefully comparing signal reports with other stations acting as the control in the experiment.

One can find airchecks of my rag chewing AM contacts all over youtube and can see I'm not a 5N 73 type of person without a good reason.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a very good point. With the tools available like PSK Reporter one can get a better handle on how well their station is getting out.. That's a benefit that fone-only operators don't have.
    I have to admit that I had never been much of a digital fanboy but here at the bottom of the cycle it has allowed me plenty of opportunities to remain active.

W2VW likes this.
  5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a shaving brush and mug. K1JT has brought me ham radio I could only dream about. I have my sweetheart wife for human contact and what's human about pushin' da button and sucking up 3khz o' spectrum? Back to spark!