Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4ZUQ, Nov 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That was not just bad, (or BAD) but cruel and outrageous. I would never have followed any article or construction project in that magazine again. And cancelled my subscription immediately.

2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to try this at work. I'll write up all my documentation with one fatal flaw and tell my boss to fire anyone who follows it because they must be stupid. That will work out great :rolleyes:

AI3V, N1OOQ and KI4ZUQ like this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

No hits for a search on "Bendixen" or a search on KL7MM.

The ARRL doesn't have a full text search on articles that old, though the new archive does allow a full text search over one issue or the entire archive.

Instead, you can search the "index volume" for a given year. In that time period that should have show up under ""Single Sideband"

CQ Magazine also published a lot of construction material in that time frame.

Nothing there either.
    https://hamcall.net/cqcgi?nam=DEMO&pw=&search=kl7mm

4. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Carriage return? Your post sentence lengths the same as mine...
    Yes, and I knew that as a kid! Cousins like him have names I'm trying not to use!

Not this time, what? What are you referring?

Oh, that was mean! Hey! This kinda stuff been going on forever! I RECENTLY built an antenna tuner called FRI-match, highly touted by the author, that will not work on end fed wires. He explained that AFTER I wrote him! Pretty sure that limitation was NOT mentioned. In the 60's I gathered all the parts specified for a "dwell extender" device that was "supposed" to increase ignition power similar to dual points for spark ignition. Did not work.

5. WD6USA

WD6USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Is a Ham any less a Ham if they don't personally mine the ore, refine the copper, pour the ingots, and extrude the copper wire used in their radios or antennas?

Publishing schematics with deliberate errors relative to the claimed function of the device is clearly a measure if the developer, and that measure is a damaged and insecure individual.

I can understand a map maker or circuit designer leaving their mark, as long as the mark does not impact the use of the map or circuit.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    W4ZD, KK7AMB, KI4ZUQ and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is about paragraphs not a sentence with a bunch of paragraphs. :rolleyes:

7. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I built the QST project, "Project Goodwill 20m Rig," a qrp receiver/rx pair. Etched the PC board, too. Didn't work, but later QST published the "Stray" that the pc etch was printed upside down. I haven't done another.

W4ZD, N5AL and KI4ZUQ like this.
  8. KI4ZUQ

I am a little slow. I still do not understand your point. Try this: explain it like I was four years old..

9. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an amateur over to the house yesterday who just upgraded to extra two weeks ago at my test session. He is a pilot for a major airline. So he is used to talking on radios and a person of reasonable intelligence. He told me he had been licensed for several years but had become discouraged early on and didn’t do anything amateur radio related until upgrading.

He came over to look at a couple of used HF transceivers I have for sale. He also had many questions in relation to general operating procedures for amateur radio. I tried my best to answer these questions. In the course of our conversation I asked him why he had become discouraged with the hobby.

He told me a long time amateur he had become friends with several years ago got him interested. He took and passed his tech and general but according to him when he started asking this guy specific questions about operating procedures etc. he didn’t seem to be able to really explain things.

He said this persons answers were general in nature and when he pressed him for more specific information his answer would be something like, “well you just have to fiddle with it and learn for yourself.”

While I’m all for learning by experience I’m also for giving new guys enough information to understand what they are getting into. After he described his interactions with this other amateur I had a picture of someone who probably was way more talk than having actual in-depth knowledge he said he had.

My visitor commented he had learned more about general operating procedures in the hour or so we had been talked than in the many hours of the other guy evading his questions. The funniest thing was I finally thought to ask him the name of this amateur. Turns out I know who he was talking about. This particular person was at the test session when I passed my extra. He told me I wouldn’t be a real extra until I learned code. The same person that I learned later had to take the extra exam 6 times before he passed it. Someone who makes a habit of trying to make new amateurs feel stupid because of his own limitations. An amateur known for such poor operating procedures that he is referred to as a LID when others in this area talk about him.

I wonder how many others new amateurs have had the misfortune to be “mentored” by this person.

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  10. KI4ZUQ

Ah! I think I get what you really mean! Yes, I probably should have divided it into three or four paragraphs. There! That your point? Hey, I used capital letters an' punctuation!

KA9JLM likes this.