ad: Radclub22-1

Less Than 2 Months Befor The Solar Eclipse...Volunteers Needed!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Jun 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Solar Eclipse multi site Measurement using RF-Seismograph

Participants needed! Be part of the big solar eclipse Experiment using your station. While you watch the solar eclipse let us do the science!

[​IMG]

The setup that is planned for the solar eclipse measurement is a multi site noise measurement using the RF_Seismograph. All the participants are using LIF units that connected their shortwave radio to the sound card of their computers. CAT is used to control the frequency of the transceiver.

The RF-Seismograph will be set up to scan JT-65 frequencies on 80m (3576kHz), 40m (7076kHz), 30m (10138kHz), 20m (14076kHz), 15m (21076kHz) and 10m (28076kHz).

All the participating stations are ask to run the MDSR software including the RF-Seismograph with the exact frequencies for the scanner. The FTP site for uploading images containing the graphics display and later the csv data is located in Vancouver, Canada; near the MDSR test station which is located 10 miles north east in Lynn Valley from it.

The RF-Seismograph is set to upload the measurement graphics to the FTP server. This almost gives a real time display of the solar event on Aug 21. Because all the images containing the measurement will be updated every 10 min you will be able to follow it on the web on our website. http://users.skynet.be/myspace/mdsr/

All the best;

The MDSR Team

7X2YM and N4GST like this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

There will be an open and informal Solar Eclipse Net on 21 August 2017.
    Eclipse Net is in the morning before the eclipse and continues through the end of the eclipse.
    Freq: 7296 and 5371.5 kHz voice SSB.
    Eclipse Net Start Time
    10AM Eastern Time
    9 AM Central Time
    8 AM Mountain Time
    7 AM Pacific Time

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    VE7DXW and N4GST like this.
  3. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I am very near ground zero. Locals are gearing up for mega mob of people...

WB2MJG and VE7DXW like this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not use WSPR?

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

VE7DXW likes this.
  6. W7MY

W7MY Ham Member QRZ Page

That would make too much sense.

VE7DXW likes this.
  7. VE7DXW

WSPR tells you that you have a path to a stations that send out a WSPR signal. It does not tell you anything about the local noise conditions.

With WSPR you are limited to stations that also use WSPR. The RF-Seismograph does not require that the stations use a specific mode.

The RF-Seismograph does not use TX so it can be on when nobody mans the station and it monitors up to 6 bands at the same time automatically!

The RF-Seismograph creates a graphic image that can be shared easily with other users and you can give a others a picture of what your local condition are on all the bands. You can share your propagation without the requirement of having to go to the WSPR database and specifically query for it. WSPR also only allows to retrieve information that is related to your call sign.

Once RF-Seismograph is set up it can run fully automatic and scan up to 6 bands with out user input for long periods of time. It can be used to monitor propagation as well as noise conditions at your stations remotely.

RF-Seismograph V1.6 also queries the NOAA alert data base to give you up to date information on solar and global events that can effect propagation.

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW

8. VE7DXW

The RF-Seismograph is for operators that have a transceiver and an antenna but do not have time to operate the radio during the eclipse.

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW

9. VE7DXW

WSPR tells you that you have a path to a stations that send out a WSPR signal. It does not tell you anything about the local noise conditions.

With WSPR you are limited to stations that also use WSPR. The RF-Seismograph does not require that the stations use a specific mode.

The RF-Seismograph does not use TX so it can be on when nobody mans the station and it monitors up to 6 bands at the same time automatically!

The RF-Seismograph creates a graphic image that can be shared easily with other users and you can give a others a picture of what your local condition are on all the bands. You can share your propagation without the requirement of having to go to the WSPR database and specifically query for it. WSPR also only allows to retrieve information that is related to your call sign.

Once RF-Seismograph is set up it can run fully automatic and scan up to 6 bands with out user input for long periods of time. It can be used to monitor propagation as well as noise conditions at your stations remotely.

RF-Seismograph V1.6 also queries the NOAA alert data base to give you up to date information on solar and global events that can effect propagation.

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW

10. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I will be in Sylva, NC (right in the totality zone) and can have a radio and computer set up. I have an FT817 and an FT857

W3KKO and VE7DXW like this.
  11. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be good. In 1970 I saw one in Virginia and the experience was awesome. It is definitely worth the trip, even for 2 minutes of viewing. I'll be in Nebraska and here's hoping for clear skies.

But just a reminder for everyone, be careful when the sun is partially obscured, since the light may be dim but watching it can still damage your eyes. (Totality is okay.) Ordinary sunglasses are not safe! Here's more on the subject: https://www.space.com/35555-total-solar-eclipse-safety-tips.html I recently got eclipse-safe glasses and would recommend that if you are going don't wait on ordering them since the demand will be high.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    VE7DXW likes this.
  12. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll also be in Nebraska, with only a limited amount of radio equipment with me.

What I'm planning to do is just occasionally send, on CW, "TEST DE W0IS." Then, I can look at the Reverse Beacon Network data later and see where I was picked up. I'll probably send every few minutes starting before totality, and continuing until a few hours later.

I don't think I'll have time to mess around with changing antennas, so I have to decide on which band to use. If I know that I'll be in a fixed location and have room, then I might set up a dipole for 40 or 80, since the effects will probably be more pronounced on those bands.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to settle for a mobile antenna, which will be a Hamstick, and I'll only be running 5 watts. I have Hamsticks for 80 and 40. 40 meters actually works better than you would expect, but it's still quite marginal, and there's a good chance that no RBN station would get me. (And that's almost certainly the case on 80). 20 meters actually gets out pretty well, but I doubt if there would be much effect from the eclipse.

So at this point, I'm leaning toward 30 meters. The antenna is efficient enough that it will get out, and there should be some change in propagation.

I'm also planning to listen to the AM broadcast band. Does anyone have any suggestions for stations that I might want to monitor? I want something that's not audible during the day, but with no local stations on the same frequency. I'm thinking KSL, the Chicago stations, and maybe 540 Saskatchewan. I'll be near Grand Island, and I'm not sure if KOA Denver can normally be heard there during the day. If not, I'll check them. Any other ideas?

13. NZ1I

NZ1I QRZ Lifetime Member #344 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have a question of reception QTH location in relation to the land track of the Solar Eclipse. I am in CT, so I am still in a position to attempt the reception or would it be better for a station closer to the track? I would like to know before I invest in the items needed to participate.

73, Kevin NZ1I FN41

14. VE7DXW

Hi Kevin;

Thank you for your question!

Your location is perfectly located to measure the solar eclipse. The path of solar eclipse is on the horizon at your location. If there is a RF reflective layer you will be able to hear stations twice the distance from you to the solar path.
    At your location you might not be a to see the eclipse, but the effect on the radio waves will be measurable. This is exactly what we want to record and document.

Thank you again;

Alex - VE7DXW

15. VA3ECO

VA3ECO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Alex,
    I will be driving south to see the eclipse, but can leave my home station/computer on in grid EN29, near Kenora, Ontario.
    -Will this location be of any help?
    -Should I use my wire dipole or beam?
    -What direction to aim beam?
    -Would the program be sending huge amounts of data over the internet? (We get 65 Gigs/month.)
    Thanks,
    Chris VA3ECO