Legendary Coastal Station KPH returns to the air

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W5BIB, Oct 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KI5WW, VK2WP and AI6KX like this.
  2. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the reminder and have worked K6KPH 24/6/2016 on 15M and should have another go at working them.

From reading the link does this mean the station is actually back on air again as a marine radio station handling ships traffic as before ?

Are there ships nowadays with radio officers to carry out the sending and receiving of radiograms/weather reports/time signals as they used to do ?

Just a trifle mystrified as to what is going on.

Thanks for clarification.

3. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W5BIB

From the link: "KPH and Amateur Radio station K6KPH will be on the air every Saturday and Sunday" Check out http://radiomarine.org for more information.

Or you could send RICHARD (W6AWO) a email. (good on his QRZ BIO page) - RICHARD is the "CHIEF OPERATOR" @ KPH / KSM & K6KPH.

Steve / W5BIB
    ex WLO /KLB cw operator

5. W5BIB

dupe...

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the answer is "yes" on both counts, though I'm not sure how many ships will be capable of communication with KPH these days. I'm confident there will be some, though.

Note that 1) KPH is not a valid amateur call sign, but is listed in the FCC ULS as being licensed under service "MC", the Coastal Marine service. 2) The KPH frequencies of operation are not in the ham bands.

K6KPH is a valid amateur call sign, using amateur frequencies, and is operating as a ham station. I believe both KPH and K6KPH will be operating from the same building in Pt. Reyes National Seashore.

K6FNI and WB5YUZ like this.
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

8. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its really good to see a few of these historic shore stations being maintained in working order. The Alexanderson rotary alternator over in Sweden comes to mind as well, I would love to see it running at first hand.

Certainly if I was living in America I would do the marine radio ticket and sign on to the group maintaining the station which would be an interesting exercise.

Perhaps there are a few ships radio officers at sea still about who would like to work KPH on the marine bands provided they have the gear to operate.

Hope to work K6KPH soon, 15M would be the best I think.

9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the good news.

I need to make it out there to Point Reyes. I've worked RD, but we've never met, and we have mutual NON-HAM friends.