Legal obstacle removed to open Titanic, retrieve Marconi radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you.

However, as long as men believe that there are things down there that will remain "as good as new", they are never going to leave it alone.
    I also noted that they didn't simply say that they wanted to recover the mail for historical reasons. They said "registered" mail.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...treasure-inside-crumbling-titanic-706274.html

2. G7NFP

Have a look at this publication & perhaps explain to me what l am missing.

This British newspaper seems to think that recovering the Marconi gear will shed light on the captain's last orders & the transmissions sent & received.

Perhaps they think it will contain a memory card.
    The only record of transmissions sent or received would be scribbled on a notepad, which will be long gone.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...ceberg-white-line-captain-smith-telegraph-spt

PU2OZT and WJ4U like this.
  3. G7NFP

I had no idea that a bunch of guys have spent thousands of hours researching Titanic's interior in order to produce a 3d game.

They have downloadable demos on their website "Titanic Honor and Glory".

Perhaps the closest we will ever get to the experience of walking around the ship as it was before it went down.

It makes one realise just how much effort went into building that ship in the days before we had all the labour saving power tools.

This video gives an insight. But it's over 2hrs long.

JF1IRQ and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. G7NFP

5. G7NFP

6. G7NFP

7. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The surprising part isn't that they would be hypocritical. The surprising part is that anyone would believe those claims in the first place. Not that I'm against all salvage operations. I just think you have to call it for what it is.

G7NFP and WN1MB like this.
  8. G7NFP

9. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the end I'm sure they will discover that it was actually earthquakes that affected the ionosphere which then affected the radio operations....

PU2OZT likes this.