Legal: is it okay for hams to use modified professional gear?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by BH4FHO, Jan 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is absolutely no issue with it. It is getting more difficult. For example today Harris and Motorola make mobile and portable radios that cover 33 to 966 MHz. They will work on every frequency in that range with any modulation you can think of. In the fleet I manage over 5000 radios. But there is a catch, you pay the manufacture to unlock the bands you use. We have several for the engineers and a few techs with all the ham radio frequencies opened up.

Having said that just about every commercial LMR radio cover several bands. Example the VHF radios not only cover law enforcement, smr, aviation also will cover 2 meter. Same for UHF wil cover 70 cm. Many many hams will get their hands on a vhf repeater like a Motorola Micor or GE Master-II and convert to 2 meters. Anyone can do it legally, I use to do it a lot for a fee. You just have to be licensed to operate the PTT switch.

2. GM3ZMA

GM3ZMA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is legal in the UK, and, as far as I know it is legal in all of Europe.

Jim GM3ZMA

3. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

All your radios are capable of AM transmit from 118-138 MHz?

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Heck most hams started out using modified WWII and Korean war surplus radios on everything from 80 meters to 432 MHZ. Modifying commercial and military gear was pretty standard all through the 50's and 60's. But by 1970 there were fewer hams modifying surplus radios for HF, but modifying commercial VHF and UHF radios, and using them to build repeaters was still a big thing, some hams still do.

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course it's not a problem, as long as you don't do it. I have several older radios that can transmit across the entire HF spectrum, I just would never transmit outside of the amateur bands though.

6. KD7MW

KD7MW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing that matters here is Chinese law and regulations. What anyone from any other country may do is irrelevant. There is also the question of whether anything not specifically forbidden is permitted, or whether anything not specifically permitted is forbidden. I would urge the original poster to read his country’s regulations very carefully, and check with other Chinese amateurs and clubs who may have already dealt with the issue.

WA9SVD, NQ1B and WZ7U like this.
  7. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Many commercial models cover the ham bands already, no conversion required. 136-174 MHz is very common for VHF and 380-470 for UHF. They also make models that are 450-512 and those require conversion (if it can be done). Those high split versions are the most common ones on ebay of course! FPP is available on some models and is great to have for ham use. I have three radios with FPP so don't need to drag a computer around.

8. BH4FHO

BH4FHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in China the only law regarding equipment, manufactured or homebrew, is that it shall operate within the band limits and shall not produce excessive spurious emission, and the standard for manufactured and homebrew are identical. The band limit rule is usually up to the operator to uphold, and the spurious emission rule is up to the equipment.

NQ1B and AH7I like this.
  9. BH4FHO

BH4FHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Those radios was part of those locomotives at the time of manufacturing, so they are written off along with the rest of the locomotive as a component and sent to the scrapyard. Then the scrapyard decided to remove those radios and resell them.

AH7I likes this.
  10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha Max!
    Are you finding any scrap HF radios?
    73, -Bob ah7i/w4