Legal: can I use my Chinese callsign in the States after getting an FCC ham license?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by BH4FHO, Jan 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. BH4FHO

BH4FHO Ham Member QRZ Page

AFAIK there is no reciprocal licensing agreement between China and US. I am planning to take the American test so I can transmit in the States.

Now, after I got my FCC license, must I use my US callsign while located in the States, or can I keep using my current Chinese callsign, with the appropriate prefix/suffix added like W1/BH4FHO?

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a good question for the ARRL. I am fairly certain that you will have to use your US call sign if there is no reciprocal agreement between China and the United States. I could be wrong though.

You can call them at this number. (860) 594-0200 or Email: mstemmer@arrl.org

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't cite a particular rule, but I would think that if you have a US license you would be required to use that call sign while actually in the states.

W0AQ and K7JEM like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a good question for the FCC, since they and not the ARRL make the rules.

Asking here is going to get you lots of non sequitur responses. Especially from the nitwits.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

no reciprocal so Get a U.S.A. call sign and just use it.
    But You can keep your current Chinese callsign.
    I have a Belize call and U.S and I would never use my Belize call while in the U.S.

WZ7U and N1YR like this.
  6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You said it yourself -- there is no reciprocal licensing agreement between China and the US.
    So, you cannot use your Chinese call sign here.
    If you obtain a US license -- you woud use the US call sign that's assigned to you.

And BTW: Even if there WAS a reciprocal agreement, if you hold a US license, you could not use your China call sign here. You would have to use your US call sign.

K0UO likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You must use your US call when operating in the US.

K0UO, PU2OZT, W0AQ and 1 other person like this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

There's nothing preventing you from telling others what your foreign call sign is, but you need to ID with your FCC-assigned U.S. call sign at the appropriate times (basically, at the end of the QSO and every 10 minutes).

W0FS, K0UO, W0AQ and 1 other person like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Good answer.

You can't use the foreign callsign as an "ID" but you can certainly tell people, "I also have callsign BH4FHO in China, hope to work you from there."

K0UO, W2AI, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry. No. You must use your FCC assigned call while within the states, territories, and other possessions within FCC jurisdiction, for your legal ID.

No reason you can't mention in conversation that you are also BH4FHO, of course. It just can't be your legal identifier.

K0UO likes this.