ad: elecraft

Legal callsign identification

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD3V, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD3V

KD3V Guest

ok, I have the read the regulations but as usual there is room for interpretation and I am trying to make sure I understand exactly what the minimum legal identification requirements are. I tried to find a reference (an FCC 'position paper' or something similar) that I once read that tries to clarify this. I bring it up again as I want to know for sure and it will also be good for everyone to be reminded of what is the legal minimum.

As I have been able to determine so far, We are required to identify ourselves:

1. at least every ten minutes
     Does this really mean I can be in a qso for 9 minutes   59 seconds before having given my call even once?

2. at the end of the qso even if it is not ten minutes

3. MUST be done with call LETTERS, not by using phonetics!
      Does this mean it is ILLEGAL to sign off with "kilo delta 3 victor" ??
    I believe I read that the use of phonetics is advised "when needed for claification" but is not to be the only way a callsign is given. Signing off with letters is the legal requirement in my understanding.

4. anything else I missed?

I am asking for clarification and additional information.

I believe #3 to be accurate but it is the one that is open to question the most in my mind.

KDa3Ve

2. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Go back and read 97.119b ...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> (b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:

(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;
    (2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a standard phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;

(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;

(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of §73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

3. KD7LDH

KD7LDH QRZ Member QRZ Page

Yes you can qso for 9 minutes and 59 seconds and not give out your callsign. HOWEVER AT TEN MINUTES AND AT THE END OF THE QSO YOU MUST IDENTIFY. And if the QSO is longer than 10 minutes identify every ten minutes and at the end of the end of the conversation.

4. KC2JCA

KC2JCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

&quot;Standard Phonetic Alphabet...&quot;

Gee, you mean all those guys using those cute sayings are not legal?

Imagine that.

Wannabe CBers. 10-4?

--
    Jim

5. KD3V

KD3V Guest

Yes guys, I DID read those very regs... but the regs say &quot;... as an aid...&quot;, if we are on a repeater then 99.9% of the time there is no need to use them as an aid.

I believe the FCC paper I read some time ago, stated that the valid ID is the LETTERS and the use of phonetics is an AID, and is NOT to be the only form of ID.

They stated that using ONLY phonetics was NOT legal as it is not your callsign.

The phonetics are an AID not the ONLY METHOD that is to be used.  

Read the regs carefully!

If anyone has seen the FCC comment on these regs I would love to see it again.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

has 97.119(b)(2) been changed recently.....my edition updated to april 2000 does not contain the word STANDARD phonetic alphabet....

it says....BY A PHONE EMISSION IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.  USE OF A PHONETIC ALPHABET AS AN AID FOR CORRECT STATION IDENTIFICATION IS ENCOURAGED....

DAN, K3XR

7. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3XR @ July 24 2002,22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">has 97.119(b)(2) been changed recently.....my edition updated to april 2000 does not contain the word STANDARD phonetic alphabet....

it says....BY A PHONE EMISSION IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.  USE OF A PHONETIC ALPHABET AS AN AID FOR CORRECT STATION IDENTIFICATION IS ENCOURAGED....

DAN, K3XR[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The version of the rule book I have uses the words 'standard phonetic alphabet as an aid'

The version I have is the ARRL's FCC Rule Book, 12 Edtion. It has a copyright date of 2000. I am not sure if another version is out yet or not. I picked this up about a year ago, direct from the ARRL.

Gary - N0KLT

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks gary,n0klt...my book is the 15th revised edition published by the w5yi group inc....i just went to the fcc web site which links you to the gpo (government printing office, i guess)  and the word STANDARD is not contained in 97.119(b)(2)
    dan,k3xr

9. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys...  hams have been IDing with phonetics since shortly after the Earth's crust cooled enough to get a ground rod driven in.  So far I'm not aware of anyone being tossed in the pen or tarred and feathered for IDing with phonetics and not adding the completely unnecessary non-phonetic version of their call sign.  If I ID as &quot;November Zero X-Ray Alpha Sierra&quot;, anyone with ears knows what my call sign is. Isn't this whole discussion just what we autocrossers used to call &quot;rules-lawyering&quot;?

The intent of the regulation section in question is clearly and obviously to ensure that amateur operators ID at least once every ten minutes, at least at the end of a QSO, and in a form easily understood.  If you really, really can't figure that out, why not call the FCC and ask them?  Better yet, why not look at standard amateur practice in use since dirt was new, not bother the FCC and let it go at that?  If you really feel strongly about it, please feel free to ID both ways, or just choose a mode where the burden of the decision isn't so great -- like CW or RTTY.

Sheesh.  

Dale

10. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

............yankee, alpha, whiskey, november...........

It is, as with any regulation, possible to violate the letter of the law but not the spirit. Read and interperet this reg any way you like as long as you keep in mind the times at which you MUST ID.

As to being in a QSO for nine minutes and fifty nine seconds and not identifing, well you just did as I am sure you observed the end of QSO ID regulation. Guess you answered your own question there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.