Lefties Need Not Be Left Out!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WA3LKN, Jan 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

In response to a recent post, see some photos of the options that southpaws have used over the years.

Most bug manufacturers made small numbers of left handed bugs.

Some ops would use a regular right handed bug, left handed, as Dave Ingram K4TWJ (SK) illustrated in his book. See photo from his book "Keys, Keys, Keys"

And the Wilson Company made bugs for the Canadian military during WW-II that could be turned on their side and used like a straight key (you can do this with the older McElroy bugs too). Or the user could put some rubber feet on the pre-drilled and threaded holes and flip see upside down.

R and L Lightning Bugs.jpg R and L Deluxe Bugs.jpg R and L Japanned Originals.JPG Wilson 1.JPG Wilson 2.JPG Wilson 3.JPG Wilson 4.JPG Dave Ingram.jpeg

W1BR and KD4ZFS like this.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The Wilson bug is WAY cool!!

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K5ITM likes this.
  4. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty Amazing!

During WW-II some railroad telegraphers who were drafted into the signal corps could send the same message simultaneously in Morse using a bug in one hand and in international code with a bug using the other hand.

W5BIB likes this.
  5. W5BIB

THAT'S Mind Boggling !!!

Steve / W5BIB

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's some nice looking hardware. :)

My Morse instructor was a retired Navy Radioman. I called him "dad". It is natural for me to send left handed w/ a straight key, and right handed w/ a keyer/bug. That makes it easy to switch back and forth in mid sentence or mid word. The other ops can't tell which is which. :D

Steve @W5BIB is pretty darned good too:

:D

K5ITM, KD4ZFS and W7UUU like this.
  7. W5BIB

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    KD4ZFS and W7UUU like this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

QLF......

9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as figure 3-3 in post #1 is concerned, looks to me like a great way to get a glass arm/wrist.

To spend a lot of time working CW requires the correct ergonomics for any key, either hand.

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like the paddle was rotated 90 degrees for the purpose of the photo. Typically the paddles would be pointed back towards the rig and your wrist would be straight. I've done it lots of times, and it's really not bad.