ad: KF7PMW-1

LED strobe interference with HT

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE0SMF, Oct 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0SMF

KE0SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

At work we have a vehicle (Tug) that is used for towing aircraft around that has an LED strobe beacon on it made by speaker, and we use an iCom HT for communicating with the control tower and other aircraft in the area during towing. Every time the beacon flashes it causes the HT to break squelch, it does not effect transmit or receive, just the squelch... it is VERY distracting and annoying. the beacon is standard on this type of vehicle from the factory. does anybody have any suggestions that i can try to remedy this issue??

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried increasing the squelch on the handheld?

Glen, K9STH

3. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Since every plane has multiple strobe lights, i would assume that using FAA approved strobes would likely eliminate that issue.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. WB4SPT

WB4SPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would snap on a 61 mix ferrite near the light cable entry.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What model is it ?

6. KE0SMF

yes the squelch is at max.

7. KE0SMF

the tug vehicle we have is approved and manufactured specifically for use around aircraft and on active taxi ways and aircraft operating areas (AOA's),
    99.9% of aircraft electrical systems are 24 Vdc, and the tug vehicle is 12 Vdc changing the strobe is not an option, plus it would also void the Tug's warranty. I have been a licensed aircraft mechanic (A&P) for 30yrs.

8. KE0SMF

the frequency ranges we use are from 119Mhz up to 130Mhz (AM, aviation does not use FM)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  9. WB4SPT

WB4SPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a IC-A110 air radio here that is frequently used as a ground vehicle airband radio. Too bad I don't have a strobe to test with. ;)

It is possible the HH Icom has a squelch that is more sensitive to short bursts of energy, that some other radios can ignore by using a longer time constant.

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Contact the tug manufacturer, perhaps they already have a solution.