ad: w5yi

LED Lights interfering.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N7BCM, Jan 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N7BCM

N7BCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Alright everybody, I need some help. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 pickup. I installed some aftermarket fog/driving lights inside the front bumper. They are powered through factory upfitter switched in the dash that terminate out under the hood and grounded to the chassis. My radio is a Kenwood D710A, this is the 3rd vehicle its been installed in and first time I have had this problem. The RF deck is under the drivers seat, chassis grounded and a number 10 wire direct to the battery. The trouble comes when I turn on the LED lights I get NOISE, it completely wipes out my radio (both sides) and maxing out the squelch doesn't kill it. So my question is what kind of filter should I be looking for and where should I put it? On the lights or the radio? The antenna is roof mounted and the coax runs no where near the light wiring. I has the same setup in a Ford but the lights were on the headache rack facing the rear so I never had them on for very long- I would just shut the radio off. I'm open to suggestions, thanks everybody. 73's

Brian

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

That is interesting. I have some very bright LED lights mounted to the front grill guard of my SUV. No noise at all on my 2/440 radio. There was a slight bit of noise that my HF radio picked up. I had previously bought a pack of the "filters" depicted (cheap on ebay) and snapped a couple on the power leads to each of the LED lights close to the lights themselves. Noise gone. Don't know if that would solve your problem but might be worth a try

filters.jpg

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Get rid of the crappy LED lights !

Thank goodness all my neighbours have taken down their LED Xmas lights . . . the noise level has dropped down to normal on HF.

Roger G3YRO

ND6M likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Try ferrites, should be type 43 on the LED wires. Or as suggested, get different LED lights.

From your description it sounds like the radio negative power lead is actually the chassis of the truck, rather than a wire to the battery? It also sounded that way for the LEDs too. If so, it could be part of the problem because noise from the LEDs would flow on the chassis which is a common impedance with the radio negative side.

It's possible that the noise is being radiated directly to the antenna too. Does the noise go away if you unscrew the antenna on the roof?

5. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mix 43 works so so, but you'll get better results from mix 31. Interestingly, all of the LEDs in my new Honda do not emit any notable RFI. The B-CANs on the other hand, are a bit irritating.

N0TZU likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I defer to K0BG on the ferrite type. He is the guru for mobile issues!

7. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure that they are LED lights?

I'm guessing that they are actually HID lights. If they are, that they make RFI is not surprising.

8. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't speak for others, but all of the Honda and Acura LEDs are just that. HIDs were phased out 3 years ago as I recall.

As a side light (no pun intended)... Toshiba makes several 50 watt LED assemblies, with higher powered ones on the horizon. I suspect we'll see 500 watt units in the near future. Imagine a single LED with over 200,000 lumens!

9. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

While looking at a bunch of taillights, if I sweep my eyes back and forth, I can tell which ones (dotted lines) are multiplexed LEDs and I wonder if the multiplexing signal is a square wave, theoretically with infinite harmonics.

10. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP said: "I installed some aftermarket fog/driving lights inside the front bumper."