LED Backlight Replacement for your 756PRO, PROII or PROIII

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by VE3TMT, Feb 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Does your Icom 756PRO, PROII or PROIII suffer from a dim backlight, or has the inverter coil, now obsolete, failed, causing a total loss of backlight? If so I have the answer.

I'll replace the old CCFL tube with a 2mm LED strip. With a lifetime rating of 100,000 hours, you'll never have to worry about the backlight again. Full brightness from the moment you power on your radio. And, you can still adjust the brightness from the menu!

Cost of the LED upgrade is $140 USD. This includes the cost of the LED strip, driver board and 10V regulator to power the board. Total time per upgrade is about three hours, so turnaround is fairly quick. I am presently out of stock on the strips, but I am expecting more parts to arrive the first week in March.

If you prefer to do the installation yourself, I'm also offering it as a kit, for $79 USD. This includes the LED strip, driver board, 10V regulator, mounting tape and a step by step installation guide.

If you want me to do the installation, you just ship the front panel from your radio. Mailing costs to and from will be your responsibility. Please be advised, if shipping from outside Canada, the Canadian Border Services Agency will impose a tax of 13% of the value of the shipment, plus a $9.95 processing charge, (sorry, this is beyond my control).

If you have any questions about the upgrade or wish to pre-order a kit, you can email me at ve3tmt@gmail.com

IMG_20180221_202829898.jpg IMG_20180221_205237.jpg IMG_20180221_212703662.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    KD4MOJ likes this.
  2. VE3TMT

Update 3/1/18

I will have eight kits available around March 7th, with another ten possibly the week after. Kits are $79 USD + mailing and includes the LED board, driver board and full color step by step installation instructions.

Max

3. VE3TMT

Kits are now in stock and ready to ship. Total cost including mailing to Canada/lower 48 is $85 USD. Please specify if you prefer the instruction sheet on USB drive, printed or emailed.

Included in the kit is the LED strip, LED driver board, 10V regulator, conduction tape, non-conductive tape, and even solder.

To place your order, email to ve3tmt@gmail.com

Thank you,
    Max

4. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Max, any plans for a 746PRO kit?
    Steve, W0GSQ

5. VE3TMT

Hi Steve,

I haven't actually looked at the 746 series but i don't imagine it would be much different. Would need a panel to see how the display comes apart. Will take a look at the service manual today .

If someone wants to send me their panel with a dead back light, I'll gladly take a look and install an LED kit at no charge other than mailing costs.

Max

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. VE3TMT

Steve,

I reviewed both the 746 and 746PRO service manuals and they both use the same backlight design as the 756PRO series. So looks like the same coil will be a problem should it go south. I don't see why this kit would not work in the 746PRO series. The LCD removal is just a little different I assume.

Max

7. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for taking the time to research it Max.