ad: elecraft

Leave that amp on? Or turn it off?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PR, Feb 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You could say that about almost anything. If more people obey the speed limits then less tickets would be written, less revenue for the local communities and less police would be needed. Should we break laws just to keep police officers employed?

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Living North of Rottenchester and walking distance from Lake Ontario you have the benefit of more severe weather than most.

Ive survived loss of power many times, and up to 2 weeks, from ice, snow, extreme winds from W and NW along with hurricanes and Nor'easters that could come from anywhere over about 100 degrees; Im only 15-20 miles from the ocean and on the highest hill in the area. That is what generators and chain saws are made for; one year I had to cut my way down almost 3 miles to a main rode to search for gas. The snow plow on the old 78 F250 4x4 (unregistered and too rusted for a sticker, no muffler either) cleared the road of the big stuff and several were lined up behind me helping opening up both lanes of the small stuff. One of the cops checking roads just shook his head and laughed as he knew the truck as I had it for close to 20 years; small town living is great. The 4500W gennie I bought new in 1985 shortly before Hurricane Gloria and it ran for 8 days of warm weather so it was off a lot. The 6 KW one was built in 97 but had about one hour on it when I bought it 2 years ago. The reason it sat was it was pull start and the owner didnt have the strength and just stored it. Some word of mouth and I owned it at a very nice price. I converted it to electric start in a few hours and did a quick carb cleaning. It runs the ham station and 1200W amp just fine along with little loads such as lights, refrigerator, TV, computers, etc.

I dont want no 9-12 KW gennie that uses far more gas at only half their load than both of mine. The small one takes care of the well pump, the stove and dryer, all on 240V....but not all at once and is off a lot:D

Carl

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Guy turns off his amp and the layoffs begin. hahaha. That's as silly as the brussel sprouts comment :eek:
    Here in PR I've often heard it said in a serious manner that picking up your own mess (littering) puts the garbage collectors out of work. There are people that really believe that!

4. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right because cops only write speeding tickets and don't do anything else. If people stopped buying cats and planting trees I guess that would put firefighters out of work too. :rolleyes:

N3PM likes this.
  5. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not what I said. Please troll someone else.

W4IOA likes this.
  6. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The manual for my Acom 1010 which uses a single Svetlana 4CX800A (GU74B) - this is the tube nomenclature used in the manual - suggests:

N O T E
    When you intend to have a short operating break, it is better to place the amplifier in the standby mode rather than turning it off. Tube life is shortened by repeatedly turning it on and off.

I guess the decision about turning the amp off depends on your understanding of “repeatedly”. I take that to mean it’s probably better to leave the amp running if you’ve operated for a while, then do something else for an hour or two before operating again.

I always turn the amp off at the end of a session where it’s been used unless I intend to get back on the air and use it again later that same day. Unless I’m working a contest, I rarely operate for more than a few hours in any day.

I also still use a Yaesu amp that runs a pair of 572B tubes, and follow the same procedure. The original Cetron tubes are still running fine after 40+ years of relatively moderate use.

7. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

God help us if someone posts a question requiring actual thought. :D

WZ7U and KM1H like this.
  8. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tell them to read Bastiat and the "broken windows" fallacy.

9. N5FKW

N5FKW Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N5FKW

N5FKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like y'all got it covered de N5FKW