ad: w5yi

Leave that amp on? Or turn it off?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PR, Feb 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I never leave anything turned on if I'm not in the operating or workbench area. Makes no sense to do that, it's not safe, and it's a waste of electricity which costs money. Plus, if there's a short or breakdown in a rig or power strip, you can burn everything, including your structure, into a heap of ashes.

I'm sure the insurance investigator would be very consoling if they discover the amplifier was the source of the fire and then you tell them your amplifier hadn't been powered off for the last 2 years and never had a problem before. Equipment come with ON/OFF power switches for a reason.

HA2ZB likes this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no such thing as that tube. You may mean the GU74B which has a phony 4CX800A designation to sucker in US and other hams because the 800W is a scam. It is and always be a 600W PD tube. The 4CX800A does not exist in any tube manufacturers data.

I never leave an amp unattended for more than a pit stop,

Carl

HA2ZB, K2XT and AE0Q like this.
  3. AE0Q

AE0Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No such amp, either :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of foggy memories today.... :(

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

They jumped aboard the fraud a few years ago and I simply ignore them. They are not the respected successful company of old. I have the actual Svetlana test data on that tube from 1-17-1993 and was tasked by George Baxter, W6TC, SK, to confirm it using a NIB pair of the GU74B with military surplus 1981 date codes and sockets.
    George was a former Eimac Marketing Manager and became President of Svetlana USA until that crashed which is a story all by itself.

IMD was horrible and the only way to get even a mid -20's IMD3 required running the bias at almost 600W idling current.
    Adding resistive NFB helped a little but it is still a dirty tube not designed with IMD in mind. Most of those tubes are still Russian military surplus altho there has been a recent production run selling at ~$400 but I havent seen one to confirm. Ive also an unconfirmed $750 price tag.

Im waiting for my #2 son Brian to go back to St Petersburg with his wife to visit her family and spend some time at Svetlana. He speaks (and reads) very fluent Russian having spent a good part of his 20 years in the USAF interfacing with the Russian military and developing procedures to deal with pirates and terrorists.

Carl

Carl

AE0Q likes this.
  7. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good way to waste electricity. I own a Flex 6700 and was told by a Flex employee that leaving the radio on 24/7 avoids the startup stress on the fans. Who designs gear that encourages wasting electricity in this age of conservation?

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are indeed AWESOME!

9. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He probably meant a 91B,built by Acom for Alpha.
    My own GU74 amps are awesome.

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an Alpha 99b running a pair of 8877/GU74 tubes. I turn it on when I come into the shack in the morning and I let it idle

Two 8877s?