Learning Method...?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM4KWK, Aug 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. VP9KS

VP9KS Ham Member QRZ Page

Bump the speed up to 40 or so, where it is much too fast to count, and keep it there until you start picking out the numbers by their sound. It will sound like a buzz for a while, but sooner or later you will start getting it! That will be your AH HA! moment. Also relax and enjoy it. Good luck:):).

Paul

2. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not exactly certain, but I think your cw elmer, like many have already said, was merely stating the importance of firmly recognizing the sound of proper code first. You can not send proper code unless you know what it sounds like first. I will add that sending proper code is a very important step as well. It reinforces in your brain the sound of the character being sent. Also, like others have said, sending faster than you can receive will not impress anyone.

3. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS is what I wish I would have done from the beginning. I made some mistakes along the way, but they are pretty well behind me now. Short list of those are:
    1) I took the fun out of it.
    2) I learned to send faster than I could copy
    3) I was so focused on increasing my speed, I forgot to enjoy rag chews at a fun, comfortable speed, just for the joy of it.
    4) It became a chore instead of fun. A repeat of number 1 because it is a bad road to go down.

Now I have fun! I've stopped worrying about speed and what do ya know,,,my copy speed is increasing (funny how that works). I am on the air much more now, because it's fun, and thereby I'm more relaxed and I can copy better. And it's fun (there's that word fun again lol).

As K8JD said, relax and have fun while being committed to it, and you will get much more desirable results.

VP9KS likes this.
  4. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

KOCH + FARNSWORTH.

5. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Better together !

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Learning Morse is all about repetition.
    Do it til ya drop an don't stop!
    I like it, I love it, I want some more of it!
    Just like the Marine Corps PT drills; you gotta just DO IT.
    Get that attitude - stretch your abilities!
    Have Fun! It'll come...
    Hammer at a few characters again and again til you got'm nailed down without thought. They won't stay nailed? Just hammer somemore!
    If it was easy anyone could do it but you're not just anyone.
    When you're brave enough, bring out that key and get airborne. It's a real fun scary thrill first time you solo!
    You'll be a hack the 1st time. Just like learning to walk or talk was.
    Really slow is really quite fine and no fair sending faster than you can copy back.
    Listening always for slow beginners and old rusties here. Sending speeds matched or slower.
    So get off this computer and get to work!
    VY 73 de n8aft

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen has made an important point; people learn at different rates. But for the majority of people:

(1) Use the computer only as a tool to learn all the characters. It doesn't really matter which method you use; any of the common ones will work if you stick with it for six-nine weeks. Don't try to use the computer alone to get to 15 or 20 WPM; I suspect this is where many if not most people who have struggled for years and still aren't comfortable on the air at 10 or 13 WPM get hung up.

(2) Once you know all the characters, step away from the computer and start listening to on-air QSOs. 7.050 - 7.055 KHz is a good place to listen.

(3) After a few days or a couple of weeks of listening, start making your own QSOs. Try for three a night, four or five nights a week.

Most people will get to 15 or 20 WPM within six-twelve months or so using this method.