Learning Method...?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM4KWK, Aug 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, www.vkcw.net - nothing to install, works in browser, simple registration. Morse Machine for those starting out, and always make sure you set character speed to at LEAST 15WPM no less, maybe better 18WPM, and just allow the long spacing between characters so you have plenty of time to think and recall.

2. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

G4FON should work just fine without a Net connection, too, iff you have a Windows computer. (I've had very limited success getting them to work on Mac and Linux computers; they run only up to a point, and often hang or crash when stretched even a little...)

Go for JustLearnMorseCode if you can type well. G4FON is a better choice if you're happier copying with paper and pen/pencil, and it also has more options to make the Morse sound more like it will in real life on the air.

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great contribution too preserving the mode Lou. BRAVO ZULU !!! (NAVY slang for; JOB WELL DONE) :)

73 es 77
    dit dit

Steve / W5BIB

VK5EEE likes this.
  4. VK5EEE

5. VK5EEE

Thanks Steve, I didn't know BZ... Yes we're having a revival down here...

6. W5BIB

Keep up the good work Lou..... & remember... (outta sight, outta mind !!!)
    73 es 77
    dit dit

VK5EEE likes this.
  7. K0INN

K0INN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been working at gaining proficiency at CW for about a year and here's what I am doing now. It may help someone after they have learned the characters and are trying to get ready for live QSOs.

I use the G4FON QSOs (just click the QSO button). It plays a "rubber stamp" QSO using random call signs and other information. I listen to and note the call sign, operator name and age, QTH, RST, radio, and antenna. I then key my response to that call sign using my call and my information. You can do this as many times as you want every day. It really has improved my receiving and sending accuracy and speed.

VK5EEE likes this.
  8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Aha! Part of the reason I couldn't use ZWC!!! ;). SUPRAD on Kitty Hawk was just outboard of Radio Central.

9. W5BIB

LOL... "SUPRAD":cool: didn't have anything to do with "COMSEC' on the carriers !!! You'll p'bly have to blame the guys at "NPO' for that !!;) :D

10. VP9KS

VP9KS Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand completely, mate. When I got the VP9 ticket, I had to make 500 Cw contacts before I got to use voice on HF. It took just over 3 months to do it, and I had a BALL!:):) Afterwards, I talked with extras (keep in mind that this was 1979) who said that they had been licensed for 20 years, or more, and had not made 500 cw contacts. SIGH!! o_O My first contact, I felt like a novice. I had Walter, VP9WB, standing over me, urging me on. :D Those were the good old days. Oh, by the way, the code test was 1 minute of solid copy at 13wpm, and there were no BLOODY multiple guess questions on the written test. There were a few essay questions like "Describe Hetrodyning", and "What is the purpose of a ballanced modulator?" on it though.

Paul
    VP9KS / WA1WJB