Learning Method...?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM4KWK, Aug 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned the speed thingie ( sending faster than I could receive ) the hard way......

The ' read your OWN code ' is absolutely paramount ....

JB

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned Morse Code by hearing. It is important to "get" the rhythm of it.

I was advised to learn 7.5 wpm to pass 5 wpm, like that. If you learn 7.5 wpm, the 5 wpm exam is easy, like that.

The examiner said I got 100%.

3. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The way the FCC tested for CW proficiency was a simulated
    QSO .... It started and ended with a series of ' V 's ' ....

I was told to COPY all that I heard ..... Including the ' V's ' .....

JB

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. When I tested the examiner send a simulated marine/ship communication that included latitude and longitude readings...lots of numbers. :) That was back in 1959. Piece of cake for a kid with excellent hearing and reflexes. :)

5. AC8KF

AC8KF Ham Member QRZ Page

I got two problems, one is my QHT has no internet service and the second is my cell service sucks. I really like G4FON's site but, can't seem to down load it to my iPad and phone. Even if I could the no service makes it pointless. Any other way to download it or learn cw down here in the holler.?:(

6. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would download some files, arrl has a number. But I would also obtain a receiver and copy code off the air. That way you can learn to deal with fades, code where sending speed varies, and other things.

See if you can look up k7qo, he had a whole cd, seems decent. Am still working through that one.

7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can receive CW signals, just use them for practice. That will actually be the real world.

Or use a code practice oscillator to practice sending. You can learn by sending also.

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah! ZWC!! The one OPSIG we Radiomen couldn't use. I used to do the same thing after the Senior Chief Signalman found out I could copy light as well as some of his gang. Kitty Hawk, '63-'66.

KB0TT and W5BIB like this.
  9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have a Windows computer? The software from www.justlearnmorsecode.com does not require an internet connection, and is roughly comparable to LCWO, G4FON, etc. The details are certainly different, but it's capable of giving you nice drills using Koch/Farnsworth methods. It does not require an internet connection to run the software, but you'll need some way to get the software onto your computer, of course. Transfer it to a USB flash drive or something, and then take the flash drive home and install it.

I also endorse the suggestion to listen to code on the air, but sometimes a computer is helpful at first.

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oriskany, Hancock '65-'66 (SUPRAD):D (NSG detachment):cool::cool: -ex CTR1-

Steve

KB0TT likes this.