Learning Method...?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM4KWK, Aug 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always felt that way. :)

W5BIB likes this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be careful HOW you practice CW!

KD0TFP, VP9KS and AC8UN like this.
  3. VP9KS

VP9KS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know, mate, I had by ears burned more than once on the novice bands. There were some real speed freaks down there! Many were way too fast for me, and I can do pretty well with my trusty old straight key.

Paul
    VP9KS / WA1WJB

4. VP9KS

VP9KS Ham Member QRZ Page

Love this video. This is the first time I have seen an Army training film made by someone with a sense of humor. Nicely done!

5. N7ZAL

The video brought back memories of my early service days when they would present a slide show and every once in a while toss in a photo of a naked girl. It did keep you awake and interested. That was before the world went PC. :)

W5BIB likes this.
  6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that once you get to say, 5 wpm, get a receiver and an antenna and practice as much as possible. If you get on the air, even better. Do that as much as possible.

Another technique is in a letter written by Samuel F. B. Morse III that is kicking around still. You may be able to google it. He thought the best way to increase speed was to get, or make, a tape (now MP3 probably) of code a bit faster then you can copy, that you have the text to. Then follow along, watching the letters on the text as you hear them. The League has their code practice runs, text and MP3 online at speeds from 5 to 35 wpm.

7. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried that technique with the 25 WPM W1AW archives; not sure how much it is helping. My problem is that my mind starts to wander then I have to scramble around to get back in sync. That might actually be a good thing because I have to copy in my head to find where in text the code is coming from. Bands are still kind of dead here so I guess I'll have to resume that method.

8. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so sure about that. Really, you can learn CW in no time at all, with a few minutes a day, if you use the Morse Machine at www.lcwo.net and/or the G4FON software. When I read that you learned at 5WPM etc, I know why it failed, that was the wrong way, it's far to slow, minimum character speed you should start on is 18WPM, otherwise you are RE-LEARNING cw each time you go from 5 to 8 to 12 etc. 18 and as much time between letters as you like to think, and move to the next letter after getting it right over 90 percent of the time. Trust me, LCWO.net Morse Machine.

W5BIB likes this.
  9. KD0TFP

KD0TFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just starting to learn CW. I'm using LCWO.net at a speed of 15WPM. One thing that I was wondering is if I should try writing down the letters rather than typing on the keyboard. What do you all think?

K5UOS likes this.
  10. N7ZAL

If you can type fast without thinking, then that might be best. I've always used writing for CW because I'm my typing isn't that fast and requires some extra thought.

Years ago I worked Morse very fast and tried to use a typewriter but quickly found out I could write faster. :)

As with most things, use what is comfortable for you. To learn I'd think the hand writing would be fastest unless you are a fast typist. JMO