learning cw

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC1ACL, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AD5CL

AD5CL Ham Member QRZ Page

Not usually. I'll hang with it as long as the other guy will. It gets better (my copy) the longer I stay on it. Can't say the same for my sending. That stays level.

I can send spaced dits pretty well though.

2. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. Mostly my copy gets worse the longer the overs. My copy of the five-minute passages from the most regular GB2RS broadcaster usually have a block or three part-way through where I've had to drop the thread, pause, and re-start, at least when the sending's faster than 8wpm. Sometimes the break's only a word or two, but usually it's more like four or five.

With me, it depends whether the "stage fright" hits my motor control. When my hand starts shaking, it's game over.

Aye. Know that one.

73, Rick M0LEP

3. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked an op the other day who consistently sent the 3 in my call as .......-- and gave my report as ........ _. _. ........ _. _.
    I got the drift of it though, and we had a great natter.

4. AD5CL

AD5CL Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh.

Some weeks ago I connected with an op over in Round Top, TX. Hardly two hour's drive away. We went on for some time in the manner you say. "Nattering" back and forth. By the end of the mostly hour's ragchew, we'd had several laughs over my 6 or 8 'dit' 5's I sent with my call or his.

Once I get confident that I am not a bother to the other station, I will plod along having a large time. Errors and all. Odd that, I usually could give a rip whether someone is bothered with me, all in all. So long as I know I have done them no real wrong. Other than just being my usual cranky self and caustic wit. heh heh (if you could call it "wit")

5. KD8OW

KD8OW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Navy way; 4 hours in the morning, 4 hours in the afternoon, 2 hours in the evening. No liberty until 12 wpm/100 per cent.

Bill

6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it can be hard to get over stage fright, but just remember that nobody's going to yell at you for making an error sending CW. Heck I do it all the time and sometimes I wonder if the people I'm talking to get frustrated when I have to stop and send some dits, and at times I do get frustrated with myself, but never once have I gotten a postcard in the mail that says "You suck at CW."

7. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a wonderful QSO this morning with someone who is newer to CW than me. He started off shaky but as our chat progressed I started speeding up and so did he. Rattling along at a reasonable rate after 10 minutes and his sending was getting better and better. I well remember being the other party when I first started and love all the encouragement.

Using it is DEFINITELY the way to improve. There is really no need to be nervous - just enjoy every QSO and they get easier and easier.

8. KA2BPP

KA2BPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have that record. My Dad gave it to me for my 13th birthday. Probably what scared me away from code. It was mesmerizing to me though and I did vow to learn it someday. I am using the G4FON and getting there slowly but getting there. I somehow managed way back to copy at 5wpm to get my novice.

As others have said, there are plenty of programs out there, try them and see what fits. Then work at it and have fun

9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned CW at 12 years old by first memorizing the characters, then copying on the air code and at some point it became intelligible ! A few years later I ran into a ham that could give me a test and I passed that. I practiced sending with a buzzer - but sending is much easier than receiving.. Sending well takes a bit of practice - I learned on a straight key then went to a bug when I got my general.

As far as speed - if you love to do it and are motivated - nothing beats using it like the guys said - once you learn the ham abbreviations and the format for the average QSO you will do well - its easier than code groups.

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great post. I learned 'the code' at 12 years old (1960) by memorizing the BOY SCOUT 'card" I carried around with me. Then, I met my ELMER, (now K9JT-Jim) & then passed the novice test in 1961. Jim helped me get on-the-air. Long story short. My learning 'the code' at 13 years old finally led me to a career in the NAVY, Gov't, & commercial radio as a cw operator. Now at almost 68 years old, I still operate cw 100%.

I only use a 'straight key' or 'bug'. I've never been able to use a 'keyer'. (they just don't have the same 'personality' as a 'manual' key)... After over 50 years of c.w., I still make mistakes. Enclosed for your viewing is a youtube video a friend of mine (NT9L - John) made a few years ago. This is how much 'fun' cw can be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ed0TSp0gs

P.S., I still get 'stage fright' !!! that's why my leg keeps bouncing !!!!! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.