learning cw

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC1ACL, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC1ACL

KC1ACL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what is the best way to learn cw??

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Use it.......Works really well..

Have fun
    Gary

3. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

The way that works for you.

Put in the time, keep at it, and take most of the advice you'll get from folk who say you must learn this way or that with a pinch of salt...

4. KH2G

KH2G Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of different ideas but I will suggest just a few things to make life a bit easier. 1. Get someone else to learn and practice with (more fun and a bit of competition helps) 2. set up the standard groups like E, I, S, H, 5 which is all dits ., .., ..., .... and ..... You can do this with T,M,O, 0 which is all dah etc. You get the idea. once you get a few groups you can make words. I also suggest you get a receiver to listen to and don't worry if you only catch a letter here and there. It will come with practice. Work on the receiving before you worry much about sending - most people send faster than they can receive which is not a good thing but common. You'll like it once you get your feet wet and make that first CW QSO. 73, Dick KLH2G

5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What worked for me, after learning with tapes (dating myself-the original Farnsworth), I was at a solid 5wpm. I vowed to put my mike away and make one cw contact a day. I met an older gent on the air and we started meeting for a ragchew on 80 2-3 times a week and I kept up with at least one contact, even if just a basic exchange, after two months my elmer said go down and test we've been at 15wpm for the last twenty minutes, two days later I had my advanced, four months later my extra.
    PS: probably lucky to do 10 now:p

6. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

This is akin to asking what color to paint your house. It is a pretty subjective thing. Google is your friend so look around and try a few different things. I will say this. Start at 20 wpm. No slower. I am using the G4FON software (because it can closely simulate band conditions) and LCWO.net and I find these to be quite effective. I also like to tune through the bands and listen live.

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

These days, get some software based on the Farnsworth method. You work on recognizing letters based on their sounds at around 20WPM character speed - not the individual dits and dahs. Usually you work on a few letters during a "lesson", and add new ones as you progress.

But whatever works for you!

Steve
    KV6O

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Another vote for Farnsworth. That's how I got my speed up high years ago (I chat around 20-25 and
    contest 30-35). But I originally learned code by rote visual memorization - despite all the "sayers of nay"
    for me it worked just fine. I was sending and receiving "secret messages" with a buddy using J38s and
    code oscillators, running 10 WPM before I even knew what ham radio was. So I'm proof you can still
    learn code doing it what many consider to be "entirely wrong"

So try a few popular methods and just figure out what works best for YOU

But stick with it - it's a really fun mode I've enjoyed for a great many years

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was a vinyl LP:
    [​IMG]

IIRC, it sucked. I'm glad my retired Navy Radioman instructor (aka dad) stepped in. :)

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

10. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally found the ARRL audio files to be helpful:

http://www.arrl.org/code-practice-files

I'd listen and copy as much as I could, then check my work against the written transcript.

I also spent a lot of time just listening to actual QSOs and copying as much as I could. I would not write anything down though. I'd try to do it in my head. It gets progressively more fun as you go along. Progress can be slow though (at least, it was in my case). Perseverance definitely will pay off though. Learning CW was the best investment of time and effort I've ever made in ham radio--or any hobby.

Enjoy!

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.