Learning CW

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WL7COL, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds to me as tho you should already be, 'on-the-ai'r, making QSO's (learning / having fun)! If ya still think ya need to 'learn' the code... I would highly recommend reading WN0K - DAVE's post. Makes the most sense to me. I'm, cw since 1961,..Ham, Military, Commercial.

2. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, it was his post, and particularly this comment:

that set me re-evaluating my progress. I know I've put quite a bit more than 10 hours into trying to learn morse, and I figure I might, looking through rose-tinted glasses, say I've learned maybe 10%. Clearly Koch isn't working for me. Whether that's because I'm doing something completely wrong, or for some other reason, if I'm to learn morse I need to find a different way to do so. I doubt I'll get anywhere on air until I can decode a fair bit more than 10% of what I hear, though...

3. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

HI all...

M0LEP...the question I would ask is what is your objective, as in how fast is your goal.....mine is only about 20wpm......12wpm to get on-air...can copy this now..just sorting the sending and I am away......from the 12wpm I expect on-air practice will get me to my goal...20, will be ok as I want to try keep to a straight key..

I may get shot here, but like you I was struggling with this idea of musical code....so I bit the bullet and went back all the way to only 5/5 wpm.....and practiced this till it was stuck in my head...then I slowly brought it up 6/6 then 8/8 at this point I hit a little trouble...so went back down to 5/5, this only took about 10mins or so just to get a refresher,,,,then on back up...As I say I can now copy at 12wpm and do about 80% at 14 wpm....so with some practice I don't expect to much trouble getting to 15wpm. I found the idea of not listening to the actual code comes into play as you get faster and seems to happen regardless of where you start to learn.....now if I had a target of 30 plus it may all be a different story...not sure..

But my initial trouble was not fully understanding the code in the first place....thats what needed to be fixed and I think at this point I have done that..

Remember I am learning so this may all be crap, but I know it is working for me...so far.

John

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...When ur leg starts 'twitching',... you'll know you've arrived...

5. M0LEP

I figured 15wpm is the fastest I can expect to get through any training that requires everything to be written down or typed in, so I've been aiming at 14wpm for now. Any much slower and I go into counting dots and dashes mode, and once my brain gets into that mode...

6. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all...

15 wpm is fine......At some point though you have to say to yourself this is just not working......and then you try to find a way that does....

The question you ask yourself.....can you read the code at 5 wpm....if not why not.
    Yes you may start counting dits and dahs.....but then again....you may be hearing the code and seeing in your head the pattern.....for exmple " ..-. " ....not exactly counting but visualizing the pattern of dits and dahs......don't forget your talking 15 wpm....not 30 wpm where you would not clearly hear the dits and dahs .

Just some ideas to try get some progress happening..

John

7. M0LEP

Aye, I'm on the lookout...

Five words per minute just too slow. I can't read morse sent at that speed mainly because my brain wanders off during the dashes and thinks of other things. Eight or nine words per minute is fine (for the characters I know - I've not learned the whole set yet, by a looooong way). The barrier seems to be at ten or eleven words per minute. That's pretty much exactly where morse folklore says you have to make the shift from counting dots and dashes to hearing characters as patterns.

I presume, therefore, that my difficulty with learning morse almost certainly comes because I'm somehow stuck in the dot-and-dash-counting mode, and I'm still trying to apply it when the code's coming at me at 15 wpm (which is the fastest speed at which I can tackle the Koch lessons because that's the fastest rate at which I can accurately record the characters I hear)...

8. M0LEP

To be honest, I think I'm stuck in it even when I hear characters sent at 25 wpm, but somewhere between that and 30 wpm I stop being able to hear the dots and dashes, and recognising characters becomes a matter of guesswork...

9. W5SMD

W5SMD Ham Member QRZ Page

This may help for being stuck on a letter. Download a conversation in Morse, or one of the W1AW broadcasts or something, and just listen for that particular letter. Every time you hear it, put down a tally mark. At the end of the recording, count them up and compare to the full text (if available).

I have some Boy Scouts who want to learn Morse Code and I may use this as a starting point.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Learning to copy a bit faster can be very helpful when trying for a "new one."

I've worked 4W6A in E. Timor a couple of times over the weekend and they were sending at about 45 wpm both times. Good CW ops. I replied in kind and they copied fine, despite what I'm certain was unholy QRM within just a few Hz. No kind of computerized decoder will deal with that, they were copying by ear (as was I).

It's good practice.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.