ad: Mircules-1

Learning CW

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WL7COL, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...There's ur sign... use the brain... see what happens... need , 'mental image'...

2. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

VK2FAK, if you're looking for a partner to practice CW on the air, just give me a 20m frequency and time and I'll listen for you.
    Conditions are lately very poor in the evening though. Was heaps better last year. Strange!

3. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all..

Thanks for the offer ZL1UZM.......I may take you up on that soon ....generally I get a good signal from ZL so that would be good while learning..

When I am ready and confident to get on air ..ie just getting the sending and brain working together...I will give you a yell on yahoo...

John

4. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't use Yahoo anymore. Just send me an email.
    BTW, I like your 30m loop. I'll make one as well when I find the right capacitor.

5. W5BIB

'fak,...' uzm...

Y'all just go ahead & get on-the-air,... do it!!!:D

6. VK2FAK

Hi all.

Ok on the email...will do that.

That is a 20m,30m,and 40m loop....all home made..even the actuator to move the Cap....using nothing but basic hand tools....and a small plumbers mixed gas torch that cost about $25.

oops off topic......

John

7. W5BIB

... How do ya know if it works, if ya ain't been on-the-air with it ???

8. VK2FAK

HI all....

Yee of little faith....

I have used it...but using digital modes....just not CW as yet.....It gets into the US well on 30m Olivia using about 15w.....and as Transmit is the issue with the loop....I am assuming at this point it works well, for being only a top height of 3m of the ground..I was doing some checks for the W0ERE 30m beacon and was surprised at being able to copy it ,as it is only 3w I think...5wpm CW....It has also been copied using WSPR and 0.5w and less into the US.....so again I assume not to many losses in the loop.....Losses is the big thing with the loops...must keep them very low.....so far so good...

John

9. VK2FAK

Hi All...

I was reading some of the links provided in the other thread on CW pitch.

Is it right that the guys that can copy higher speeds about say 30wpm and above ,,,,if you send them just letter groups they would find it difficult to copy....?

John

10. W5UXH

W5UXH Subscriber QRZ Page

I can only speak for myself, but it is true in my case. I have daily qsos with a friend, typically at 60 wpm, but have difficulty with unfamiliar DX calls (or in many cases even US calls) at 30 wpm. I need to hear the call several times before I get it. I doubt I could copy (write down) 5 letter code groups reliably at 25 wpm either. I used to administer the code tests for exams and would always write the copy down as a backup. I could do it at all three speeds, but found it much harder than a 60 wpm conversation (head copy of course).

Chuck, W5UXH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.