ad: AbAuRe-1

Learning CW

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WL7COL, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK2FAK

VK2FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

HI all....

First let me say....my leg was twitching last night while sending.....but it was not due to rhythm it was just the need to go to the bathroom...

I am finding out that the code has not been stamped on the mind as well as I thought...while increasing the sending speed....now and then the brain had a delay in coming out with the code...or just the wrong one..........I was reading below....Send....Send....Send.........I am doing ..doing....doing that now...

John

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey John,... ya gotta work on that "leg twitch" thingy. The only time my "leg twitch" turns into a desire to "pee", is when someone actually comes back to my Ten-Tec R4020 (4 watts out to OCF dipole). You'll do alright once you differentiate between "rhythm & goin' potty" !!!!!!!! 73 ? steve dit dit

3. W5BIB

You'll do just fine... John.

4. KD8OW

KD8OW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second the G4FON KOCH Trainer. It is increasing my speed after a 20 year lay-off.

Bill

5. VK2FAK

Hi all...

Hope all the guys that are in the process of learning CW are progressing ...

I am to the point of, the code is in the head and sometimes the hand just writes by itself, a very strange feeling...

Now the problem is..while sending I struggle to formulate the word in the head and send at the same time.....Practice practice I am hoping will fix this problem.......or am I due for a Brain scan....

John

6. W5BIB

brain scan...

Hi John...

...You're getting close to the point where you only need to "write" the necessities. Name, QTH, Once there,... all ya need to do do, is write "keywords", type of rig, his age, How long a ham, etc etc... Welcome to the wonderful world of CW!!! I knew ya could do it!!! It still amazes me (after all these years) to sit back es "copy" in my head!!! .. While they are sending to me, I find myself able to get up & walk around... fix a sandwich, open a bier,... do laundry, etc.. amazing little "ditties" ain't they??... IMHO: no brain scan necessary...:p:D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  7. W5BIB

You'll know!,... When ur leg starts "twitching" & bouncing up & down....... (and it ain't 'cause ya gotta go potty!!!)...

8. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

All The Time

Steve ( BIB ) ,

I find it a soothing practise to listen to CW while I do other things .

You are correct . Once a person ' LEARNS ' the morse , it is an easy receive .

I stress ' LEARN ' the mode , it s not a problem . Five to ten wpm is collating

visual and the brain trying to match them up . Morse is NOT a visual thing .

On ships , morse was sent via LIGHT , No radio involved ( security ) .

Still , the signals were decoded via prior CW experiences . COOL !

The fun starts when morse is NOT a struggle . It is a struggle , only , if a person does not

know the morse .

I am laid back also . It is fun NOW !!!!!

The problem I have is attempting to copy POOR CW around five ( 5 ) wpm .

Practise is the way to go . No one ' knows ' CW at the lower speed . They have not jumped the mind

jump from thinking ( di - dah ) thing . That was commonly known as the ' HUMP ' .

Usually happens around 10 - 15 wpm . That is why the distinction at 13 wpm . Same for 20 wpm .

Fred Lloyd learned by sending to himself via a keyer . That is OK . He KNEW what he was sending !

It does not work that way on receive when you do NOT know what is coming your way .

A person CAN learn that way , for sure .

J.

9. VK2FAK

HI all....

The issue I am having is..when sending without written text to look at...ie straight from the head...thinking of the spelling, the code,and the next letter ......it tends to mess me up..

I think from memory..when doing the test many years ago, they gave you the written text to send....so this issue never came up before.

Any tricks to this or just the practice..?

Receive is on track...

That leggy thing will come....just need to keep a bucket under the table in the mean time...lol

John

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  10. VK2FAK

Hi all....

Just trying something out......and I am thinking it is the fact that I am using software to check spacing and timing...thus a visual image of the letter when sending the code....might close the software down and just use the brain.....and see what happens......just an idea.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.