Learning CW, it just doesnt stick!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by SA7CNG, May 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Use word-processing computer software as a "mill" (typewriter) when copying code off the air. If you're a fast enough typist, you'll eventually be able to keep up with 20+ wpm speeds.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The trick to learning Morse (the letters and numbers are Not "CW") is START YOUNG, It's a lot harder to retain new stuff at my age (75) than it was when I was a Boy Scout !
    Going from 5 to over 13 WPM only took me a few months of on-a1r QSOs when I was a high School kid ! A little harder to have solid copy at 20 WPM for the Amateur Extra Calss exam in my 30's !
    Today I have a program for some pSK modes on the computer that I have still not figured out !
    As for keyboarding? I can send clean Morse with a Bug or Keyer Paddle a lot faster than I can type !!!

3. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I can type a lot faster than I can tap out code. I can type faster than I can talk. One of the perks of being raised by a legal secretary.

4. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can out-type many of the legal or professional secretaries with whom I have worked. I still don't copy code to a keyboard because I just don't need to. I listen, take notes and respond.

I'll second the thought that learning code is easier for younger people. I learned code at age 14. . . because a couple of my best friends were doing it, and we all wanted to get our Novice tickets to get on the air. Once we got licensed, we would meet on 40 CW after dinner and just chat, like teenage friends would do. We could keep up with our friends without having to ask permission to use the phone late on a school night. Of course, there were no cell phones.

When I was 15 or 16 years old, I used to carry on one conversation verbally with someone in my room and another on CW. I don't think I can do that any more. I guess I'll start getting old(er) soon. . . if I'm lucky.

W5BIB likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, that's how it was with lots of us. Ham radio was our social medium!

Nowadays, ham radio has lost its social medium aspects for probably ninety percent of operators, which is why they mostly only work contests.

I still use ham radio as a social medium. I'm on 20m almost every day and 40m almost every evening. I know there are others. But we are fewer all the time.

N8TGQ, W5BIB and W9RAC like this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not have a facebook, twitter or the like, Im probably one of the few. I do some cw every day or two and some SSB 20m every week or two these days. Use to be on everyday but I listen more these days. 73 Rich

K8PG likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

There are far more of us than you think, friend.

8. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NONE OF TT BRAIN ROT HERE
    EITHER - only morse last
    few yrs.

9. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there isn't a lot of sanity around, but there is more than some think.

Sanity definitely not to be found on much social media where addiction prevails.

10. KM4WSJ

KM4WSJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ho many letters do you need to copy before you can call it 90% success? I can copy 15 -20 letters then I miss one and it becomes a train wreck from there. My sesions are usually 15 minutes but how long should each set of characters be?

Thanks
    KM4WSJ