Learning CW: does "Code Quick" work?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6YFM, Nov 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got the 5th Ed the other day, printing and quality are top notch great read for a newbie.

N0NB likes this.
  2. N3OHI

N3OHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Your right...i did code quick and it does work

3. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used code quick and it worked very well for me.

4. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it "dog-did-it" or DON'T DO IT? I cannot imagine having to convert everything from a sound, to a phrase, to a letter? Do that at 20+ wmp headcopy? Im against counting but this is one time I would recommend counting to this. 73 Rich

5. VE3BXG

I understand your concern, and code quick may not be right for you. But it worked for me. It's been about two years since I used it to get started and am now head copying at around 23 wpm.

6. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job Mark, very good. I guess I have a problem understanding. I learned by counting years ago. It took me years to learn to uncount so I could move past 7 wpm or so. I still on occasion think about counting, a recipe for disaster. I found it to take a very long time, if ever to get the programed counting out of my head. It was the only way I could move up in speed and even consider head copy.

So by learning Morse associated with a phrase or the like this is not a problem? If it is a problem/is not, how do you copy and head count and convert from sound, to phrase, to character at 20+ wpm, OR have you moved past the "phrase stage"? I have heard many stories beyond my own of learning Morse with methods which included counting, jingles, phrases and the like which have haunted the student in the end, me included. My comment was from my experience of learning using a method which was not dependent upon the sound of the characters, a must at some point to become proficient at Morse. So help me understand how this works please. How did you learn Morse by association of a phrase and then convert it quickly to a sound for recall? I am eager to learn this mostly because of the terrible experience I had. Thanks for the comment, best, Rich

7. VE3BXG

Rich,
    Yes, the silly phrases do stick in my head, even 2 years later, although less so now than before. And yes, that is a weakness of the Code Quick method. The extra mental processing step can slow you down. But the way I look at it is that this was the ONLY way I was able to learn CW. I had spent a fair amount of time with various training tools based on the Koch system - which seems to be highly recommended - but it just didn't work for me. I figure nothing is perfect. Code Quick is what enabled me to learn code relatively quickly - I was on the air (at low speed and only understanding about half of what I was hearing) within 3 weeks. And then I just kept at it, which of course is the critical thing. Several thousand CW QSOs later I am at a reasonable level of proficiency - head copying at about 23 wpm - but still looking to get better. Would never have been able to get started without Code Quick.

G2NV, KJ4VTH and W9RAC like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, something just like code quick was used in the U.S. Army signal corps schools back in the 60s, and I think even into the 70s.

It worked for soldiers, but I truly believe that's because they had to be there, they were being paid to be there, it was part of their job if they wanted to be radiomen, and sitting in a code class is a lot easier than many other things they might have been doing.:)

But it was truly a terrible way to teach, or to learn.:p

I don't know what the Navy used. For some reason, most of the very best CW ops I used to encounter as a new, young ham in the 60s were ex-radiomen who were shipboard code operators. But they must have learned in the 30s or early 40s, as they were mostly WW2 vets. I wasn't even alive then and don't know how they studied or practiced...but wow, some of their fists at 35-40 wpm using "bugs" sounded like computer sent code -- it was just that good.

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I started Radioman School at the Navy Training Center, San Diego shortly after the first of January 1963. I'd been a ham for about 3 years. We were taught the basic operation of "The Mill", which was an all-capitals typewriter with a slashed zero and BLANK caps on the keys! We learned typing on a mill as we learned code. Starting with the home row keys. It seemed to work for most of the class, although I could copy much faster with a pencil than by typing for the first few weeks. When the instructor found out I could cruise at 22wpm with a stick, he transferred me to the room where the code tapes were "transmitted". There was a Chief Radioman, and five guys who were all hams. Our job was to run the tape machines, sending the speed requested by the instructor for that particular classroom. The rest of the time was spent improving our typing.

It was a six month school. Most of the guys who hadn't ever heard Morse code (or heard OF it) were up to 22wpm by that time. We had four who were dropped, either for code ability or scholastic reasons.

Never used any flashcards. It was all up to some very dedicated instructors who insisted that THEY had done the same thing 15 or 20 years earlier.

And we weren't taught to use bugs. I brought mine to class one day about halfway through school and I thought the instructors were going to kill themselves waiting to take a look at it! Dire warnings about not using it until I got my bug ticket punched, but that applied to using a bug on a live radio circuit. The little audio oscillator worked just fine ;)

10. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

positive_attitude NEAL.jpg
    ================= N9HI Have a Nice Day.gif

====73 and THREE CHEERS FOR FINE RED WINES